HybridZ

Do all electronic distributors have stators?

zane9000

I pulled a used distributor from an early ZX the other day, and when I was taking it apart I found a brown ring that was broken into three pieces under the breaker plate. I assumed it was the stator because I didnt see anything else that could be, but when I looked at the exploded view of my distributor in my Chilton manual it does not list a stator or magnetic assembly for my distributor like it does for the others. I have one of the earlier distributors with the ignition module mounted on the fender well not the distributor body.

If that ring was not a stator, then what could it have been, was it important, or was it one of those pesky "extra parts"?

I guess it was just part of the breaker plate. It looks like it was holding some small balls to help it rotate which I found while taking apart the dizzy. I guess I dont need it anyway because I am locking both the mechanical and vacuum advance down on this thing, so I will just put it back together and hope for the best..