HybridZ

Need some help with the ID of this trans

73G-nose

This transmission came as a spare with a race car I've since parted with, and I've hung onto it as I was told it was an actual Datsun close ratio comp box.

Before I decide what it's fate will be, I wanted to verify if it is something beyond the garden variety 5 speed.

As you can see from the pics it's in need of an overhaul, or perhaps destined only as a spare parts donor. I don't think it's a "dog leg" style, as it seems to be a conventional 5 speed shift pattern.

The tooth counts in black are for this trans...the yellow counts are what I could find listed for a standard 5 speed (page 146 of the "how to modify datsun engine and chassis manual).

Assuming I counted correctly (three times) it does appear to be different than the standard ratio.

I couldn't find any ID numbers on the case that may have helped solve the mystery.

–Thanks for your help

trans1_thumb.jpg

trans2_thumb.jpg

It appears to be a standard 5 speed. There's no cast ear off the passenger side just ahead of the outout. I'm assuming there is one on the drivers side that we can't see. That would indicate it is a late 70's or early 80's box. Brass syncros would not be found in a comp box to my understanding. My early roadster 5 speed does have the split steel syncros. What it came out of is uncertain. That might explain the gearing differences.

Mark,

Yes, you're correct. I've since verified it as nothing more than a worn out old standard 5 speed. So much for the previous owners integrity.

I never was very informed on the many old Datsun transmission variants, as you can tell.

I upgraded to a g-force T5 in my car, and have no plans of reverting back.

Thanks for the help...