HybridZ

A few ? about ms1

driftz240

heres what i have

240z with l28et swap,

im running a ms1 v2.2 built by diyautotune, msns

im using the 4pin hei like in mobys write up, i have everything wired correctly "i belive" as per the wiring diagram provided by mobys writeup.

heres what happens

when i crank over the car to start it, i smell fuel, "lap top shows injectors are working and so does my nose" i am getting rpm signal, but i dont get spark, i am only getting a spark when the key is turned to the ignition on position then again when it is turned off. i have triple checked the wiring and am confidant it is correct. i have tried another coil and am planning on trying another hei module. but am i missing somthing ovious?

I have ms2 v3.0 but I don't see the connection your talking about with a ms v2.2.

In moby's writeup you a need a switched 12volt wire going to one end of the resistor. The other end of the resistor is then soldered into the Fidle wire going to terminal G of the hei module.

You need a constant 12volt wire going to the b/w wire at the turbo dist. You need a constant 12volt wire going to one end of the resistor going to the Tach wire, the other end of the resistor goes to the g/b wire at the turbo dist.

That is all I see, But if you go to msefi.com and find the megamanual link. Click that link and then scroll down until you find schematics and trouble shooting. You will then see the external wiring diagrams for the megasquirt harness, click your 2.2 link. That will hopefully show your wiring diagram for the megasquirt harness.

I didn't see that connection anywhere, That may be the problem. Wire #26 Grey wire from the Megasquirt harness should be connected straight to the V-ref terminal of the tps. Wire #21 Dark Blue wire from the harness should be connected to the tps signal terminal. I didn't see any resistors going to the tps.

Let us know what you find.

I see what happened. It says v(sv) Which I can see it being misread as 5v. But it is a switched 12volt power wire. You should have it running soon.

Hey man, I had to ask Matt at DIY autotune, Moby, Cygnus, and a couple of others for help with getting mine going. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

I see what happened. It says v(sv) Which I can see it being misread as 5v. But it is a switched 12volt power wire. You should have it running soon.

No, it actually does say v(5v). I installed the pullup resistor to 5 volts. You must have something else going on. Remember that you need a 12 volt power source to the coil positive terminal. Then you also need to connect up the coil to the HEI module as shown in the schematics. Also, the HEI module must be grounded through the bolt holes (one hole has the grounding ring). Let us know if it still doesn't work.

hei is correct, grounded well, to the chassis of the car, and i sanded down a spot on the chassis "inner fender" to mount it and applied electric grease to the back of it, it is grounded to the car, does it have to be grounded to ms?

so i am correct on jumping tps vref to the fidle wire using a 1k resistor?

the hei is installed correctly, i even tried adding a compasitor "stock 280zxt" from the coil to the terminal on the base of the dizzy, still nothing, do i have to download somthing else, it should have been loaded with msns+e from when i got it, and we tryed to tune it with 3.0 i have my base maps and everything in there, im getting rpm signal on the lap top, and injectors are working. maybe i burnt up the hei module. im on the way to ghettozone now with it to test it.

i have not opened up the ms unit yet and am running no relay boards. this is a track only car, i have been reading that really i dont need the hei module, is this true, since i have no radio or comforts i can deal with any rfi noise... i have not jumped any xg1/xg2 and shorted out the diode like moby stated. my friend said he dident do that to his z, is this the problem?

yes i have 12v to the coil, i just had the module tested, it is ok,

do i have to jump somthing on the board? i have read and heard many things. i think you jumped xg1 and xg2 and shorted out the diode, is this what transfers the output to the f-idle circuit. im still kinda confused on how this is working. we are actually using 2.25 not 3 as i thought. my neighbor and i were looking threw the ms manual, and at our programing, constants. well figure it out, its probably somthing very simple.

goes the hei have to be grounded to ms or just the chassis?

idl to fidle jumper

i was just looking threw mobys write up closer, and i found this, what is ment by jumping idl to fidle? is that on the board. what is idl? on that note i have an ign wire not tach on my harness.

also i have

dizzy conections

1.gb spliced with tach "my ign wire on harness" hooked to 12v via 1k resistor.

2. i used the same 12v source as listed in 1. but ran it before the resistor to bw dizzy power wire. can i share the same 12v. and is the ign wire "shielded wire" saposed to be spliced with the gb?

sorry to post like hell on this, im resurching and trying to find things out at the same time.

OK, slow down a minute so I can keep up :)

1. The jumper for idl to fidle is on the relay board. So you don't need it unless you are using a relay board.

2. The XG1, XG2, diode stuff is all for the TACH input to MS. If you are seeing the correct rpm in megatune when you crank(approximately 200-300rpm), then your TACH input stuff is set up correctly.

3. HEI module only needs to be grounded to the Chassis.

Put a test light on the FIDLE wire at the HEI module and see if it pulses when you crank the engine. You can also put the test light on the coil negative terminal while cranking and see if it pulses.

Maybe it is time to look at your settings in megasquirt. Did you set it up to use FIDLE output as the spark control, maybe you accidentally set it to use a different output for spark control?

I would recommend using the latest stable release which IIRC is 029y4 or 029y5 of the MSnS code.

under "codebase and output functions"

The "distributor(msns)" mode would be set to "msns"

the reset of those modes would be set to off.

"FIDLE function" would be set to "Spark Output A"

If you can, post screenshots of your settings for the codebase and functions, also of your spark setup. That will allow a lot more people to help you out here on the forum.