HybridZ

Clutch sleeve problems?

averynisbet

A friend of mine bought a 73 Z with some problems. You could shift into all 5 fwd gears with some pressure but could not get it into reverse. The clutch was not fully disengaging so we replaces the leaking MC and rebuilt the slave. When we did this we found that the push rod had been replaced with a bolt(see 1st pic).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5030&stc=1&d=1201829389

I knew this bolt was way to long it's 83.00mm long and its bent. The push rod I found in the junk yard on a 77 280z was 69.04mm.

So we went to a junk yard and got a stock push rod and longer clutch sleeve.

The clutch sleeve came out of a 77 280z non 2+2(pic of clutch sleeves).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5031&stc=1&d=1201829389

When we took the transmission out we found a performance pressure plate in there(pic of pressure plate).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5033&stc=1&d=1201829389

This thing has weights on the fingers. There is also what looks like pretty bad wear on where the throw out bearing touches them.

There is also some scoring on the inner centimeter of contact surface of the fly wheel(pic of fly wheel).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5032&stc=1&d=1201829389

After putting the taller sleeve, stock push rod and an extra washer under the fork pivot it was much worse. We can't put it in 1st from a stop while the engine is running.

We have put together an adjustable push rod using bolts from home depot.

It can adjust from 69mm to 83mm. It is currently in the car but we have not had time to adjust it.

My worry is that the pressure plate is bad and is not releasing the clutch.

I understand that the transmission will most likely need to come off again to get this fixed but I would like to get it fixed with only having to remove the transmission one more time not 2 or 3 times. Does anyone recognize the pressure plate? or can point us in the right direction of a correct pressure plate sleeve combo.

-Avery

bolt_thumb.jpg

sleeve_thumb.JPG

flywheel_thumb.JPG

pressureplate_thumb.JPG

After much more reading and searching. It sounds like we have a bad pressure plate:(.

This being the most relevant post:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110962

This being very informative but still laking a promised update:

http://zparts.com/zptech/articles/trans_swap%20parts/4tobear_specs1.html

And still more info:

http://www.forgeracing.com/240z_race_car/

-Avery

• 2 weeks later...