HybridZ

How to use the datsun slave cylinder with a T5!

Guest mattrp

Guest mattrp

I have been driving my car for three months now with the stock datsun slave cylinder releasing my clutch. All I did was take a piece of sheet steel, cut it into a about a three inch square, and cut a flap about the width of the hole in mount for the old cylinder. Then bend the two sides around the flap to a 90 degree. Now drill holes in the uncut half and mount the slave cylinder to it with the rod sticking in between the two bent flaps. Then drill two more holes and mount the flaps to the normal slave cylinder mounts. The rod can be easily modified to make it fit, or you can drill a hole through the throwout fork to make it operate exactly like the datsun equivalent. I have been using this system for months, no problems, and way cheap.

I will try to post pictures. If you have any questions, ask.

Matt

72 500Z

Guest mattrp

Well, I haven't taken a picture, but since I know you guys are interested, I wipped up a good diagram that more than explains the design. Email me, mpatterson@protectid.com, if you want the picture. Isn't there a way I can post the picture to the board? Maybe a good feature for the future?

Matt

72 500z

• 3 months later...

Would love to see those pics! My only concern here is that the Datsun slave doesn't seem too reliable. My Father had a 280 for years and claimed to have gone through several slaves. My car blew a slave on it's maiden trip home and the slave from my parts car was also pretty poor. A new slave is only $30 but that's not much good if you're on the side of the road. Is the stock Z clutch as "heavy" as the T56 clutch? Just wondering what added stress it might have to deal with.