HybridZ

sbc bearings and rings...

Okay, here's the deal. I have a 1966 327 and i want to "freshen" it up a bit with rings and bearings. My question is, how can i tell if the previous rebuild used oversized rings and/or bearings? Is it stamped on the part anywhere? Or do i have to dig out my micrometer? Any input would be appreciated! Keep up the good work, and this forum rocks!!!

Bill

The piston tops, if they've been replaced before/upsized w/new pistons will have the ".015, .030 or .060 embedded in them-if they dont/measure the bore anyway just so you know what you've got.

Likewise, the main & rod bearings will have "Std" for "Standard Size" embedded or it will have the ".010, .020" undersize embedded in the back of it as well.

Regardless of what the bearings say or the piston top says...always mic it yourself/that way you know exactly what you've got & if your bore isnt badly worn you can get by w/simply honing the cyl's for that cross hatch pattern & re-ring your eng & install new rod/main bearings. While those heads are off-shoot scoot & boogie over to your nearest/favorite machine shop for a valve job.

Kevin,

Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Pulled the manifolds and heads today, pistons have STD stamped in the top, and there is no ring groove at the top of the cylinders, so i am hoping this is a good thing. Have to figure out a way to get the motor off of jackstands and onto my new engine stand before i can open up the bottom end.

Bill

by the way, should there be evidence of crosshatching on the cylinder walls? Mine are very very smooth...

[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: labrat ]

Guest Anonymous

You might see crosshatching on a very recently rebuilt engine. After a few miles and the rings get orientated to the cylinder walls, they'll eventually start knocking the high spots of the cross hatching away. An inside mic. will tell you how the walls are. Without a ridge on top, it could have reasonably small amount of wear, but thats usually carbon, and not necessarily the telling sign, although could mean low miles ,IMHO only the mic. knows for sure!

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Hmm, not sure on the comic book haha. When I was writing it I was thinking about it being from a far earlier time than I can remember (can't say that very often these days haha). Radio. "Only the shadow knows... mwahhaahhaa.. " icon_smile.gif

Lone