HybridZ

700-r4 to 71-240z Shifter problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Looking for the best way to convert the 240z

auto shifter to a 700-r4 transmission.

Car was bought with a set-up that used a Camero flex cable and modified GM brackets at the transmission. The "z" end was home brew with the bottom pivot of the shift lever repositioned to work with the 700-r4. The flex cable was secured to a bracket on the "tunnel".

It never felt right and the park lock function didn"t always engage. The cable

failed recently and a stock replacement cable

just can't be made to work properly. HELP!!!

Uncle ED

Guest Anonymous

Jags That Run cover this in they're manual (our 'bible' around here for many of us). Theres involves using the stock rod and building a mount on the tranny to mount the datsun shifter. Its shows pretty much what needs to be done to use it. FWIW.

Regards,

Lone

i was going to do it the jtr way...but im going with a 5 speed...i have a 73 shifter with all the linkage...ill even give u a photo copy of the jtr page so you can do it there way...drop me an e mail...ill give u a good deal

Sounds like a fine fix Ed. If you ever get stranded you can use that 3/8's to defend yourself;^) (just kidding but you can adjust it with strong finger pressure underneath so nothing massive req'd)

My 1st shifter setup was v. similar, 3/16's or so threaded rod with double nuts and a sleeved eyelet with a custom 'plate' inside my OE shifter, some initial work to get appropriate shift positions but dead solid till the Hammer install.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your reminder about JTR and offer to send data. The good news is I solved the linkage problem and didn't have to spend anything else but time.

Simple direct solutions always seem to work best and work longest. I ended up fabricating a ridgid linkage using 3/8 hard steel rod with a cold forged eyelet on the shifter end and a small, adjustable rod end that fit on the transmission shift crank.

I determined the linkage length and shape using some soft copper tubing and my grand daughter, working the shifter, to check working clearences. It took a lot of work to flatten and drill the one end of the linkage, but the copper tubing pattern allowed the linkage to work beautifully after only the slightest adjustment.

As with any home brew solution only time will tell. Early results have me shifting with crisp, precise selection and able to retain the 240z console and shift lever.

The rest of the story is, before the failure of the stock Camaro flex cable, the car poped out of park when I closed the rear deck and the car ended up against a palm tree. The hill was steep, the parking brake

didn't hold and I was lucky to get off with $850 worth of rear body work.

I had to be sure the new set-up would work Very well and every time. I also fixed the

parking brake.

Thanks again

UncleEd

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Datsun660Z:

UncleEd Did you do it the jtr way and mount the shifter to

the trans or is it in its original place
icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

[ April 28, 2001: Message edited by: Datsun660Z ]

The shifter is stock / body not trans mounted. I was worried about the movement between the body and transmission but so far this is a non issue due to the relative lack of forward / aft movement. I will keep you

informed of any problems.

Uncle Ed

For anyone considering the AOD trans & want to keep the factory floor mounted shifters but are not sure how to do it; you can find an Auto Trans Shop that specializes in 4spd swaps where 3spds used to be. Those shops are quite familiar w/cutting the shifter gate for a 4spd.

The problem is-knowing when you've found a good shop that is hot rodder savvy! Just ask them-use your comment sense; if your "What the heck am I doing here" sensor goes off-then run for the hills; however, if their answer sounds half way senseable-then ask more questions & go from there.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)