HybridZ

T56 help please....

BLKMGK

Okay, my donor LT1 flywheel isn't fitting the Eagle steel stroker crank out at the machine shop. Block utilizes a one piece rear seal. Much more detail than that I've not got yet but...

Any ideas on what I'm going to need to do to fit a darned flywheel for the T56? I don't yet have the part# on the crank and I can't find a WEB site for Eagle - grr! This is as close as I've come -> http://www.planet.net.au/~alexst/eagle/

Is it possible I've outsmarted myself and that the Eagle crank will work with the Centerforce aftermarket flywheel? I was trying to avoid that expense darn it. Right now I'm just a bit panicked because I've got 99.9% of a motor ready to ship but no way to attach my trans to it! And here I'd hoped to avoid Mike's problems by using the stock flywheel....

Any ideas or sources for info I've not found would be appreciated. I'm a bit bummed.

Update!:

SOLUTION FOUND!!!

Okay guys listen up, I just got off the phone with Keith Craft. The machine shop called Eagle after eye-balling the flywheel again - no way would it have fit. It seems Eagle makes their crank ends one way and then machines for one piece or two piece seals - flywheel flange is the same no matter what!! They caled Eagle to be sure of this. Doh! Keith Craft then called Centerforce and found out that yes, their flywheel will fix this. I'm getting the flywheel at their cost and it'll be there end of the week. They were VERY apologetic for not having seen this sooner - seems I did indeed outsmart myself. Smack!

So here's the lesson: If you're going to build a 383 stroker and use the good Eagle stuff do NOT bother trying to use a one piece seal motor. Use the nicest strongest old style block you can find, skip the added expense on the oil pan, crank, and whatever. Then buy the Centerforce flywheel and be done with it. the only possible advantage might be that the newer style blocks have provisions for roller camshafts - I think. Older style blocks might take these just fine too I'm not sure. Regardless, just use the older blocks - they're probbaly stronger anyway! Learn from my mistake here...

Oh, they did tell me that at the power level I'm looking at it's probably a very wise idea to go with the stronger flywheel anyway to prevent an explosion. I knew that but was trying to be cheap about it - stupid idea.

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited October 09, 2000).]