HybridZ

Diff ratio question

Arif

I just swapped out my 3.54 diff for a 3.7 LSD and I always thought the higher the gear the lower the top end mph you make? Is this correct with all other factors remaining constant? I know that mpg will suffer a bit and I'll have a better take off but what other things should I expect with this LSD?

quote:

Originally posted by Arif:

I just swapped out my 3.54 diff for a 3.7 LSD and I always thought the higher the gear the lower the top end mph you make? Is this correct with all other factors remaining constant? I know that mpg will suffer a bit and I'll have a better take off but what other things should I expect with this LSD?

Yes you increased your mechanical advantage by 4.5% so decreased your 'potential' topend by same (I say potential as often a gear ratio increase like yours can increase topend as your car has more power at that limit to overcome drag etc etc, ever done 6000 in 5th gear?) If your motor is well setup you'll see minimal mpg change if any (saw none on my L28 from 3.36-3.9, made it way more functional) assuming you have some overdrive gears if you're doing highway. What you will gain and what I see as the biggest asset (keep in mind I'm not a stoplight junkie) is far better cornering throttle control, I just loved that when I first experienced it (I'd had the 8 a while w/o LSD) and would never give that up now.

Enjoy:-)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.