HybridZ

280ZX SBC swap....

Guest elenorzx

Guest elenorzx

I'm about to start purchasing the mounts and other parts for a V8 swap and I was just wondering what people are finding to be good for the project, what "brand" mounts etc.

I am north of you in Lane County. I picked up this fairly rust free, plain Jane 1979 ZX for 120.00 with a "rebuilt" head by Morons Inc. that could not set the valves. One cylinder after correct valve adjustment managed to pump up 30 pounds on my compression gauge. About 10 feet away from this abortion cylinder head sets this 350 SBC out of a rust bucket Suburban (engine smells like 4 bolt main and 4 bbl carb to me). I bought the SBC on Craig's List for $100.00. The owner bought the rusty Suburban in Crescent City for the motor and drove it to Lane County with no problem. By the time he got the engine out of the rustasstus bucket to transfer to his pride and joy Suburban, the gas prices were going up without mercy and that finished his love affair with Suburbans. A few years back I picked up a MSA 700R4 tranny mount for a ZX for $15.00 off this website. What I propose to do is document and photo this pastime as the ultimate el cheapo ZX SBC conversion attempted in the history of Hybrid Z. Stay tuned !

I plan to use the Chev pickup motor mounts as used by JTR bolted to the Datsun mount with "home made triangular three bolt" adapters bolting to the 350 SBC engine block. The engine set back will be governed by the ($15.00) MSA transmission mount I already have. (as long as the hood shuts and the HEI dizzy does not rub against the firewall). I have a ZX turbo radiator for engine and turbo cooler (for tranny ?) in a ZXT ($350.) parts car for cooling. I have a selection of SBC cast headers that might work or a set of block huggers.(used) I have a ZXT exhaust and tail pipe from another ($50.) parts car for a single exhaust into a used Super Trapp muffler ($00.). I am looking for a shifter. The ZX car has a rack steering with no power. I plan to retain the air conditioning and use ZXT parts to upgrade appearance like tailights and black pillar cover...mirrors etc. One ZXT parts cars is fairly intact minus a $150.00 distribitor sale. and the $50.00 ZXT netted about $500.00 profit in parts sales. I have a differential/driveshaft adapter bought a few years back. If I get my hands on the right diameter GM drive shaft, I can shorten it but not balance it.