HybridZ

t56 with 2.4?

Guest pauli

tell me if this is right and/or makes sense:

280zxt's came with t5's. this means a bellhousing is available. t56's are very similar to t5's. l28's are similar to l24's (or whatever the 240z motors are called). so, a t56 should bolt up to the above t5 bellhousing, which should bolt up to the engine in a 240z. then, later, this bellhousing and engine could be replaced with a v8 (and proper bellhousing), using the same t56.

would this work? am i thinking too hard? will marsha really leave brad?

Guest Anonymous

A 280 t5 bellhousing will bolt right up to any L engine no problem. The t56 has a different input shaft, with a different spline and probably a different pilot bushing size, etc, etc. If you're lucky, the input shafts will be the overall same length and you'll only need to mix-n-math clutch parts. I dunno if that's the case though.

I don't think the bellhousing-transmission bolt pattern is the same for t5 and t56 though. It might be possible for the nissan bell housing to be drilled to accept the t56 pattern though, depending on where the bolt holes are on the bellhousing.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

thanks guys, quick reply morgan smile.gif

so, it would be doable, if the clutch part isn't too expensive. would i be able to just use a more generic chevy clutch setup with the oe flywheel? does that even make sense? smile.gif when it comes to clutches, i'm a bit out of my league...

wrt to t56 supply: luckily, they still make them new, and as long as people keep wrecking cars... wink.gif

Pauli - the T56 in the later cars is a different design so far as bellhousing etc. go - the LS1 IS different I'm afraid.

Look to the T56s that can be swapped in place of the T5s. Figure out what's different :-) The TPI/TBI manual from JTR has a pic of them side by side if memory serves so that might help. Do you have the measurements on a stock Datsun tranny? You're local so if you want to check out my TPI book let me know. I've also got an OEM T56 in the garage you can look at if you'd like.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by pauli:

thanks guys, quick reply morgan
smile.gif

so, it would be doable,
if
the clutch part isn't too expensive. would i be able to just use a more generic chevy clutch setup with the oe flywheel

You would use the Chevy clutch disk, the stock flywheel and pressure plate of your choice (stock datsun style be it centerforce or whatever), throwout bearing would be a T56 unit, the pilot bushing would have to be either drilled out, or a new one machined to match the input shaft on the T-56. The above assumes the chevy clutch would fit IN the stock pressure plate/flywheel as far as the diameter is concerned. It'd make a pretty cool swap if you can engineer it, but definately is braving new waters I think.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Pauli,

There are several different model T56s. An aftermarket T56 uses the same bolt pattern as the T5 but has a lesser torque rating than the T56s from 94 to 97 that came in the V8 Firebirds and Camaros. It also has different gear ratios.

I believe you are thinking along the right line but, like Morgan said, you have the input shaft, pilot bushing, etc...and that is if you can deal with the ~$2800 cost of an aftermarket T56.

OEM T56s are getting harder and harder to come by, over the summer when I was looking for mine it seemed every car magazine I picked up had an article in it about swapping the T56 to older muscle cars. As far as being cost effective the OEM T56 is the way to go for a small block Chevrolet. They can normally be had for $1000 to $1500 and the 94-97 models are rated for 450ft/lbs of torque. I remember one member saying he was able to source one up in New York for $850.00!! I would not count on getting a deal like that!! Even though I will not need my transmission for several months I found a 96 T56 back in October for $1000 and went on and purchased it, I found one back in June for $900.00 and figured "if I found one now, I'll find one later". After the $900 T56 vanished I started paying real close attention to the "T56 market". There is an extreme "demand" for these transmissions and not a great deal of "supply".

Chris

lots of food for thought...

blkmgk, i may take you up on your offer one of these days. right now though, my time is taken up almost entirely by working and sleeping, as i save up for a car to put everything in wink.gif