HybridZ

Mating a Nissan T5 with a Chevy SB

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I havn't heard of this being done, I'm sure it could be (after all, almost anything mechanical CAN be done with the right money and desire to do so), but I'd have to question the ability to handle the torque as there are several versions and torque ratings of T5's from what I've come to understand.

One swap I would like to see tried in a Z is the use of the Toyota 5sp. Theres a company in Australia (maybe our Australian friends can help with the name here) that sells LOTS of engine/trans adapters and make a adapter to use a toyota 5sp behind the chevy. I think the 5sp came from a supra of some sort. Its used alot in England for they're swaps in V8 mg's and the like, usually behind a Rover V8, but they also have the bellhousing for a chevy to toyota 5sp. Might be just the ticket for lower powered small blocks. Only thing is I think its OD is only like .83 or something, which aint bad, but its not as good as the t5 or t56.

My .04$ (sorry got carried away...)

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Anyone know if a Nissan T5 will mate up with a small-block Chevy in a 240Z?

The bellhousing would have to be changed of course, but what about the input shaft?

I'm sure the splines for the clutch are different diameter, and probably the input shaft diameter.

Anyone ever tried mating these two. Ideas?

Guest Anonymous

My bad, the place I was referring to was not in Australia, but New Zealand, sorry mates. Its web address is:

www.conversioncomp.co.nz/

The have very complete kits for Chevy/ford v8's as well as one for L-6 240z to supra 5sp Trans. Only thing I'm not sure about is they're monetary conversion (I could look it up on the net, theres places that have them) so I'm not clear on the price. They're conversions come with either gearbox or not.

Oh and a somewhat off topic note, I found our 4 X 4.5 wheels are the same bolt pattern as the TR-6 and a few other British sport cars (not that it helps us much, but maybe someone fancy Brit wheels...). Not sure on the offset/backset though.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

The greatest advantage to the Nissan 300ZX Turbo T-5 is that it has a very long input shaft compared to the Chevy and Ford.

A simple adaptor plate made out of alloy could be fabricated, and spacers to use such a transmission. I currently am looking into having such a spacer made to use the Nissan T-5 (great ratios) behind an alloy Buick V8.

D and D Fabrications out of Michigan makes such adaptor plates for using the Ford T-5 to mate to the G.M. bellhousing. The Ford and Nissan bolt pattern is the same, except that the input collar is fractionally different. So it has been done, and will be done. I have about 8 T-5s of various makes and models. You can swap the tailhousings and top cover to change shifter location too.