HybridZ

cost of regearing a t56

Guest pauli

i'm curious as to how much it would cost to take a t56 with the 2.97 first and .50 sixth and put in the gears from the one that has 2.66 first and .63(.62?) sixth. the parts are, obviously, available...

Guest Locutus

the reason for the 6 speed with the .50 final gear is that is better suited to our cars. In 6th you have a wonderful hiway cruising gear that keeps the rpms down and that reduces wear and tear on you engine. Just my .02

Mike

right, but there are traction issues. if you can't hook up in first, then the gearing needs to be taller. but if you go to a taller rear end, sixth becomes less usable.

it's an issue of having the 1st:6th ratio being 6:1, or 4:1. the closer they are, the taller first is while sixth is good for cruising. no need for second gear starts when first is geared like second, second is gearead near third, etc.

besides, having the gears closer should, in theory, allow for smoother shifts.

why would it cost so much? wouldn't it just be an issue of getting the gears, which are out there somewhere, and putting them in?

eh, i guess it doesn't matter much. down the road if it's bad i can have it fixed... first i need to get back to work and buy a damn car smile.gif