HybridZ

350 smallblock manuel trans

Guest Anonymous

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are on your way with a good car, bad motor!

You NEED to buy the JTR manual--we have a link someplace in this website for it. It explains everything and even provides the drawings for the mounts, etc. Also they sell just about everything you need to do the swap.

As far as trannys go, that is also covered. The T5 is a good tranny and is relatively cheap when you can find one--it holds up to mild 350s. The T56 is better by far, but more expensive. Read the JTR manual first, then decide how much you want to spend on the project, make your choices, and go from there. Good luck!

David

Welcome indeed.

Thinking about the swap is fun; but in order to know exactly what is involved you will definately need to purchase the JTR manual. By reading the manual you'll have a better feel of what's involved & can determine how much/many of the mod's you can/cant do yourself...then adjust your budget accordingly.

I'm still adjusting my budget as everyone elso knows...I'm still an inliner icon_confused.gif

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Yeah, no kidding on the budget thing. Last night I ordered headers, some fittings, oil filter relocating stuff etc. Can you say $550?! Ouch..... Still need alternator, starter, radiator - it all adds up so be prepared before you start.

Guest Anonymous

I recentaly bought a 78 280z with a bad crank so I'm thinking 350 chevy but I would like to keep it a manuel what is the best tranny for this and where would I find conversion pieces

Hwy, I kow I'm a bad example for the budget guys but... the stuff I just bought was headers (ceramic) and fittings mostly. Oh yeah, a $30 preluber to. Remote mounting the filter is something I think most of us are doing and I did go with the Aeroquip rubber stuff and not braided so I was tryin to do it right without spending a ton. It's just amazing how the little stuff adds up when you're not looking. Not my first project though so I did sort of expect that...

BTW - this Aeroquip hose is AWESOME! It's light as a feather and I've had it on other cars without realizing where it came from - it's tough as nails! Fitings aren't as expensive as braided stuff and it's easier to work with. I'm almost wishing I'd used it for my fuel line, cheaper, lighter, easier to work with.... I'm just not sure it would have the same impact resistance. Much reccomended for things like oil filters and whatnot. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Fast Frog

Leviathen:

I've got a WC T-5 tranny in my 383Z, and until a few months ago, I also ran a Paxton SC. I was making 400-425 HP and the T-5 has held up fine! BUT note, I was careful with it and did not abuse it! It's even been to the track a couple of times, but as a rule, I don't race it. The T-5 will take 350-400HP with no problems, but if you're going to "bang" gears and race, you might consider the T56. icon_smile.gif