HybridZ

Prospective Z - looking for some advice

Hey guys, I currently have a '79 s130 that I picked up for $235 because it start right up and ran. The body is decently rusted and this car brought me into the Z world. Right now I'm really wanting an s30 either as a project and a DD.

I've finally found something local that looks decent :)

I just asked the guy for pics of the rockers, quarters, battery tray, and spare tire well, but from what I can see it looks alright.

Here is his description:

'72 Datsun 240Z with a 260 engine and transmission. Webber carburetors, AC, '74 Datsun aluminum wheels and original steel wheels. Hasn't been run for almost 15 years. $2500.

Here are the pictures he emailed me:

Datsun1.jpg

Datsun2.jpg

Datsun3.jpg

Datsun5.jpg

Datsun6.jpg

Datsun7.jpg

Datsun8.jpg

This is what he had to say about the car via email:

The car was my wife's prior to our marriage and since I already had several, it seemed sort of excess, especially since I didn't want to get involved with another marque as I.m already into two. Also it doesn't have power steering and she was coming down with rhumatoid arthritis which made steering around town somewhat of a chore compared to a Celica that was available. So, it was bagged (wrapped up) in the driveway and has been that way ever since. With a new battery and some engine cleaning, it should start.

What do you guys think of the car?

What would make a fair price for it assuming that it is running before I buy it?

What about in non-running condition? (I do have an l28 mated to a 5 speed in my ZX to swap in and all the turbo goodies in my garage ;))

So how did the floorpans, rockers and battery tray look? My impression is if there's hidden rust, it'll cost more than getting the engine back up to par. What's the black round how-ya-doin' up near the hood latch, that's not stock as well as is some kind of wiring rig on the passenger's side front wheel well. (Non-stock wiring scares the hell out of me)

It does look like though an afternoon washing it inside and out and degreasing the engine compartment would work wonders on it.

Still waiting on the pic requests. He gave me a phone number so I think I'll just give him a call and go take my own pics tomorrow :P

That black thing looks like a cruise control throttle cable thing and that would also explain the wiring. Anyone agree?

Any other ideas?