HybridZ

whinning R200

Guest harth

I recently picked up a R200 with very little backlash. I had to change the flange to use it. Could I have done anything wrong or did I just get another bad rear end? It is whinning and the magnetic drain plug is picking up particles, Thanks Michael

Guest Rick Johnson

My Z has reasonably quiet Dynomax mufflers and lots of extra sound deadening. I want a quiet car which includes a quiet diff.

I have had terrible luck finding a quiet R200. I have probably had 5 different rear ends, and with several of them I have tried different gear patterns to eliminate noise.

I have had no luck, changing the pattern just seems to move the noise around (from coast to cruise , or accel to cruise, etc).

My last experience came 6 months ago when I changed to Torco Hypoid gear lube. 2 weeks later the the ring and pinion were worn out and it sang like the fat lady. I bought another rear which was noisey on accel but reasonably good at a light cruise. I used Petroleum based 85/140 with limited slip additive. Now 2 months later it is a bit noisier than before and whines slightly under a light cruise now.

I have OEM rubber bushings in the mustache bar and front mount.

I actually work at Nissan and can see from past records that these diffs had noise incidents even back then but I am surprised by the noise I encounter and the noise deterioration with each diff.

Does anyone have any ideas????

The R200 came from Zbarn, he's sending me another one. Because of the shipping cost he told me not to ship it back to him, The ring and pinion are pretty tight would it be worth the price to have new bearings put in it? Any idea what it would cost to have this done? Thanks, Michael