HybridZ

Noisy R200 after using redline gear oil

Guest ZmeFly

i have a 83 280ZXT, with automatic, and the R200 is out of a 89 turbo. was fine till i drained the gear oil and used redline gear oil. the guys at motorsports said it would get noisy but man whats up. is it just that the redline gear oil is to thin for this differential??? or is it just telling me i need a new differential. any suggestions or hints as to what could be the problem?

Guest Tom Scala

I've used Redline gear oil in my 68 GTO ever since the rear was rebuilt(6 years) and have noticed a little gear whine at steady throttle cruise but nothing excessive. This is the original 10 bolt Pontiac rear that everyone said would explode in my low low 12 sec 3900lb. car but it's still kicking,knock on wood. I have to think the Redline lube has something to do with that. What weight oil do you run?

First of all, the Red Line is good stuff, period. The reason you are getting more noise in there is that it is a thinner fluid by nature. The increase in noise is normal, but if you want to get rid of it, switch to their "shock-proof" 75W 250 differential/gear oil. Let us know if this helps.

David