HybridZ

FMIC, Treadstone or Ebay??

I find it funny that you guys are worried about knockoff treadstone intercoolers. The treadstones are knockoffs themselves! Nothing special here folks.

That said, I run a chinabay intercooler with good results. I certainly cannot justify paying 600 for something that I will ruin on the street within a few years.

Evan

Evan I agree, I can't see it making much of a difference for a street car.

I don't doubt that a better flowing intercooler will actually gain me a bit of HP through efficiency gain etc...

However, I can think of better places to spend the 500. At my rate, they are trash in a couple years. It doesn't make me cringe nearly as badly when the knockoff taps a curb or the asphalt.

I guess my point was that there was no use splitting hairs when it comes to chinese intercoolers. They are all pretty much the same.

Dr.Hunt has a JGS, which is an excellent I/C. Nitpicking is warranted when your spending that kind of money on a core and end tanks.

Evan

Best bet, after reading monzters post, would be to buy one of the cheapo's and build really good endtanks IMO.

Dr-hunt, thanks for confirming what I was thinking, I don't want to "run out of intercooler" as the power levels go up.

BTW 280ZForce and J.Soileau, those are two of the nicest Z's on the planet, I use images of both your cars as inspiration to complete mine.

I guess my point was that there was no use splitting hairs when it comes to chinese intercoolers. They are all pretty much the same.

This is not 100% true. Quality control is a BIG factor in the cost of goods, even from China.

You can see this in Electronics as well. My neighbor is a Chinese importer of goods. He said the critical part of importing and selling goods is the quality of the item being manufactured.

Go buy a $1.00 tape measure from the flea market. Then buy the $10.00 one from anywhere else. I’ve seen time and time again the $1 one fail. Both units are made in China.

This is not 100% true. Quality control is a BIG factor in the cost of goods, even from China.

You can see this in Electronics as well. My neighbor is a Chinese importer of goods. He said the critical part of importing and selling goods is the quality of the item being manufactured.

Go buy a $1.00 tape measure from the flea market. Then buy the $10.00 one from anywhere else. I’ve seen time and time again the $1 one fail. Both units are made in China.

Well, I do agree with this... however I have had TWO of these intercoolers from different "brands" and have seen another two in person. They were so close to the same, if not identical it would be splitting hairs.

I didn't mean to say chinese intercooler... I meant knockoff intercooler.

I guess I should rephrase..

In my experience, the chinese knockoff intercoolers do not vary too much in quality or materials.

Evan

Guest 280ZForce
What kind of power are you putting down, I am shooting for 500-525 RWHP, maybe more, I think I would rather have an intercooler that is a little on the big side than not big enough as my power level goes up.

Aiming for 600+ rwhp, The initial goal is 500ish but I know once I hit that I'll want to see what I can pull from it safely. The engine is pretty stout and plenty of the goodies and work put into it, should be impressive. *crosses fingers*

Heck right now, I'd be happy if it was just driving.