HybridZ

Is there a 90degree take for the speedo cable for a T-56?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a t-56 in my 240z. I installed the trans/engine combo with JTR's book, mounts, trans nose cone, and speedo cable. The car now has less than 1000 mile on it and the cable has allready failed. The only thing that i can think may be the cause is that the cable has to make a pretty severe bend when it comes out of the side of the trans. Either that or the cable was a POS but i doubt that judging by the rest of the conversion parts. Any Ideas? Thanks,

Peter

You've got a T56 modified for th emechanical cable? I'm not sure anyone else is running one of those here - parts from JTR? A sharp bend CAN bind up the cable and cause problems, I had one killed in my Mustang thanks to the techs binding it while doing a catalytic recall. The only two times that car saw the inside of a dealer they broke something and on the speedo issue they refused to pay for the replacement (grr).

Anyway, yes, binding can hose the cable - it's like a sharp bend in a bicycle pull cable for the brakes. It'll work but not well and a speedo cable sees stress spinning around in there. How did it fail? Leak or snap in two? It will probably not fail where it was bent and I'm betting it snapper below the bend. It's like a giant spring, if it binds up high it will twist up down low until it builds the torque to spin. Before the Mustang cable actually went it got jumpy on me as the cable bound and released - I wasn't smart enough to figure it out in time. Did yours do that at all?

Personally, I'm going with an aftermarket electric speedo and skipping the trans mods, aftermarket little gizmo boxes, etc. an dhope that the OEM sensor and aftermarket speedo are reliable long term.