HybridZ

VH45 and T30 torx bolts

Ford Falcon

Apologies if this has been discussed before. Has anyone, during their course of tearing down a VH45 engine (I have a 1991) had a problem removing the 42 bolts that hold down the 4 overhead camshafts?

I'm in the middle of tearing mine down now to give it a thorough once over, and I'm sure with Nissan's infinite (Infiniti?) wisdom, they had their reasons for trying to make these items tamper proof by making use of torx bolts, and I've so far gone through three T30 torx bits. I am tempted to just grind these bolt heads down and use an easy out or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions or hints?

Thanks guys.

Hey Mark,

Good to see you online!

You finished your 450Z project ?

I went to harbor freight tools today and bought an angle grinder, but I haven't tackled those bolts yet. Unfortunately I've already rounded the torx socket on about 6 of them, so I will have to find another way to get those out. I'd rather not grind on the brackets if I can avoid it, but I know I will need new bolts. Having said that, the ones beside the timing chain gears will be fun to remove.

I rounded one pretty bad so I just cut a slit in it (used a pneumatic 3 inch cutoff tool) so that I could get a large flat head bit in it and used the impact driver... just be sure to clean the head out very, very, very well as there is going to be lots of small pieces of metal in there. :lol:

I actually have changed my project around yet again so won't be getting the VH swap done for a while. My 91 is essentially going to be my daily and I figured, with gas prices going the way they are, a V6 would be a bit better for a daily. I'm going to put the VH in another Z32 I have that I'm going to completely strip for a semi-not-so-much "street legal" race car :lol: Basically... light weight, stiff, and fast. :mrgreen: