HybridZ

Centerforce models? DF or 2?

Guest scca

ok now that we know where to get it. is the Dual friction worth the extra?

i think it may..

and the more important question is i have a lightened 225mm flywheel already and also a 2+2 one here. i am leaning towards the 225mm for lighter rotational weight? it would have a lower MOI (moment of inertia)

teh DF setup on the 225 mm will be sufficient wont it? I WONT be 1/4 mile racing the convertible...

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

I was using a 225mm DF clutch (I have a very nice Tilton 225mm aluminum flywheel that I'd rather not part with), and when it gave up the ghost (i.e., started slipping), I called and talked to a Centerforce tech. When I told him the torque numbers that I had dynoed at, he said something to the effect of "That's way too much torque for that clutch", and that he was surprised that it had worked at all (I had about 1k miles on it).

Apparently, the 225mm DF is good for around 250 lb-ft of torque. The 240mm clutch will be rated a bit higher - check with them - they were at least fairly honest with me.

[This message has been edited by TimZ (edited March 06, 2001).]

Well I'm running the 240mm with the Centerforce Dual Friction. I'm a little surprised with how low those numbers are Tim. (though I am not disputing them) So if the 225mm is maxed at about 250lb-ft, then the 240mm may run as high as what? 300lb-ft? Thats not a lot! (well it is, and it isn't)

My question is, whats the next step above the CFDF? Stiffer pressure plate...?

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

I was surprised, too. You would have to check with them for the rating on the 240mm clutch. Actually, the number might be a little higher - I got the figure for the DF from another clutch supplier. The CF tech did indicate that the number is nowhere near the 400lb-ft that my car dynoed at.

As far as the next step, the Centerforce tech said that he had nothing to sell me that would work. He forwarded me on to ACT - same story - they had nothing to sell me, either. They then forwarded me to Clutch Specialties, who set me up with a heavier pressure plate, and a six puck, sprung hub disk. Rated for 450lb-ft.

I was impressed by the technical knowledge of the guy at Clutch Specialties - he spent alot of time with me, and gave me several options in order to meet my unique requirements. He was not just looking stuff up in a book and reading it to me.

Also, the clutch setup was put together, tested, and sent to me in a very acceptable time frame (in my hands in less than a week), and for less than half the cost of the DF. This included the throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and a clutch installation tool, too, BTW.

I can't comment on how well the clutch works just yet, though - I have to wait till the salt is off the roads. frown.gif I can say that the pedal pressure is a bit higher, but not so much so that it will be a problem.

Hmm interesting. Well I just shelled out the money for the DF, so there is no turning back just now. I'm going to be running fairly conservative off the start however, still with the stock turbo and injectors. (for how long, I don't know... I'm hoping to put my time and money towards other parts of the car for a while)

Definately interested in hearing how the 6 puck feels once you get a chance to drive it.

------------------

Richard Lewis

drax2.gif

do you have their phone# or web?

potter makes a twin pressureplate setup for a Z - super stiff but seems to work well..not really street friendly though

Mike