HybridZ

T56 trans mount - check my figures plz...

BLKMGK

Okay, I got aorund to puling the JTR trans mount out of the box and measuring it with the T56 in place. Yup, as Lone and others have stated - good luck!

I measure the trans tunnel at 12 inches wide where the trans mount is on the tranny - the JTR mount is nearly 14inches across! One "hump" is 3.5 inches, the other about 2.5 inches. I figure I need about 1inch removed from each "hump" to get this puppy to fit without major bashing. I've got the car in the air but not real high so bashing anything under there is a real bear! I THINK I've got the tunnel clearanced okay once the trans comes down on this mount so cutting and welding this puppy seems to make the most sense to me - yes?

Opinions please. I won't cut this sucker yet and I've got to have someone else weld it so I'd liek to get this right the first time. Wider hump goes on driver's side - correct? That's the side with the bigger spacer so that's what I'd expect...

TIA!

Heh, I couldn't wait smile.gif I ran it over to a friend's place who does chassis work. He had to use a chop saw to cut the darned thing and it's now slightly less than 12 inches hump to hump but I believe it'll fit perfect now. He beveled the cuts, fired up the welder, and laid some absolutly purty welds down. I only wish I had the skil and experience that he does - this puppy is solid! I'll take some pics to post tonight and see how it fits under there. Even if it ends up too wide again it'll still be much less pounding that needs to be done. I don't mind a litle pounding but my car is in pretty darned good shape and the bashing required to fit the mount in it's previous form was just too much for me to stomache!

I did have to pound just a little. It was real close though. I ended up bolting it to the trans and jacking it up. Where it contacted I smacked the mount and pumped the jack handle to press it into place. The mount is so thick that bending it would be a real feat with only about 4 inches to swing a hammer in smile.gif Overall I think the trans is in but I need to get those wiring pigtails to finish it up and fiure out which set of wires in the trans tunnel is the reverse lights - I've gotten them confused! There Is one little pointy spot on the T56 up towards the reverse lights that I think should be chopped off by anyone doing this swap. It pokes out pretty good and I can see no good reason for keeping it - I think it's to sort of shield the reverse switch from impacts but I'm not sure. Pointy little sucker too!

I've cleaned, primed, and painted the mount now - pics on my site. Tomorrow if time allows I'll bolt it on to the trans and drill holes to mount it. I'm using an Energy Suspension urethane mount too BTW. About time I started thinking about mounting the rear pumpkin smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Not sure if it'll be the same, my car was previously a automatic 240z, but mine had four wires going down to the transmission, a pair of black yellow (which I believe are neutral safety switch wires) which I spliced together and two Red/blue (pretty sure they were red/blue) wires that are the back up lights. FWIW.

Lone

Okay, here are pics of the mods - they're now up on my WEB site too.

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

and

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Those welds are VERY nice, very clean, and I can only dream of ever doing that well. It took them only a few minutes to do this job and they stopped their other work in order to accomdate me. Thank you Dan and Dave!