HybridZ

Some discoveries with my triple weber 45's

2savage

Now that everything seems to be running well it is time to install some air filters. Just having air trumpets may look cool and have free flow but the engine will not last long like that so I bought three oval 3" deep K&N style filter assemblies. I had been told that I can install the air trumpets inside the filters and that's exactly what I did, but I was a bit concerned about reducing air flow because the trumpets were over 2" long and that only left a small gap between the trumpet and filter end plate.

After a quick test drive (and an embassing spanking from a ricer) I realized I must have lost at least 30bhp due to the restrictions. Back to the garage and removed the trumpets. Things are better now but certainly not as powerful as it was in free flow mode.

Finally, I got 5 Falken Azenis RT615's from www.discounttiredirect.com and got them mounted. I think I'm now ready for my track day at Pocono Raceway on May 3rd. I really hope the Z will be reliable but I'm planning on taking my Shelby Cobra too as a back-up. I really hope I don;'t need the Cobra because it has been sold and will be delivered to the new owner two days later. I can't imagine what I'd do if anything happened to it!!

Now you know why we use the Extrudabody Short Air horns to roll the air into the Throttle Bores instead of the Long Velocity Stacks inside of a Filter!

If you cut the Velocity stacks down so you have at least 1" between the top of the Horn and the bottom of the Filter Top, you will pick up hp, over the Filter without stacks for sure!

Lots of Company's out there that build real short Stacks that will serve the purpose as well! Check Ebay for Bike velocity stacks!

Kevin

Now that everything seems to be running well it is time to install some air filters. Just having air trumpets may look cool and have free flow but the engine will not last long like that so I bought three oval 3" deep K&N style filter assemblies. I had been told that I can install the air trumpets inside the filters and that's exactly what I did, but I was a bit concerned about reducing air flow because the trumpets were over 2" long and that only left a small gap between the trumpet and filter end plate.

After a quick test drive (and an embassing spanking from a ricer) I realized I must have lost at least 30bhp due to the restrictions. Back to the garage and removed the trumpets. Things are better now but certainly not as powerful as it was in free flow mode.

Finally, I got 5 Falken Azenis RT615's from www.discounttiredirect.com and got them mounted. I think I'm now ready for my track day at Pocono Raceway on May 3rd. I really hope the Z will be reliable but I'm planning on taking my Shelby Cobra too as a back-up. I really hope I don;'t need the Cobra because it has been sold and will be delivered to the new owner two days later. I can't imagine what I'd do if anything happened to it!!