HybridZ

v-8 swap for '80 280zx

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,

I am a newbie to the z cars so please forgive my ignorance. I want to perform a v-8 swap for my 1980 280zx. My question is not about about the motor itself, i have had plenty of experience with v-8's. The question is where to find a kit for my car. I have read through the forum and the more I read the more confused I get. Is it that hard to swap a v-8 into a zx or is it that hard to find a kit? Could someone please tell me where I can find a compleate kit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping a newbie.

Welcome to the forum! You will find this place to be your best resource for doing a complete swap. icon_smile.gif

Now, the ZX V8 swap is not as popular as the first generation Z swap, but it is fantastic nonetheless and you'll enjoy the car. Ross Corrigan is a friend in Canada who has done this swap successfully, knows what he is talking about, and fortunately posts often.

First bit of advice for anyone doing this swap: get the JTR manual and read it several times to familiarize yourself with the steps and items you will have to deal with when doing the swap. The book applies to first generation Z cars, but the book is very helpful overall; plus, if you don't need the book anymore, you can sell it in this forum in a heartbeat...

To answer your question quickly, you can purchase engine swap items from JTR and from MSA. www.jtrpublishing.com www.zcarparts.com

Hope this helps, but continually ask questions before you jump into a major part of the swap so you will get the benefit of of at least another person's best guess icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck,

David

Guest Anonymous

hey man, welcome to hyridz. i just thought i would ring with my thoughts here. I am also going to do a v-8 swap into a 1980 zx from what i have found out so far there is not really any differance in the way you do it. the only thing different is that the firewall it three inches closer to the crossmember so you wont be able to set it as farback as a z. and also the zx is a good bit heavier than a z. but i think that might be good since most of the extra weight is structural and stiffens up the chassis more than a z. just a quick question though. what do you plan on swappin in?

I'm going with a dodge 360 since their motor mounts are up front on the block instead of the back (ala chevy) so hopefully i should't need a offset plate setup on my mounts like the chevy guys do. plus I'm just a mopar fan icon_biggrin.gif I should hopefully be doing this some time this month depending on certain factors so if i get into i'll be sure to post all about it icon_smile.gif

as to the "kits" i know i looked around for a while and i think there was a few but nothing i can remember off the top of my head i will see if i can the info on them again for ya

Guest Anonymous

Hello there and welcome to hybridz. I have done the swap in a 82zx. I did it no prob with the auto tranny. I'm in thr process of putting in the t56 and its going great, just time issues. Any questions feel free to ask. I'll have my web page up and going with lots of pics shortly as well(as soon as school is out) Well, gotta run, and welcome to the fun/addiction icon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by v-8 Zfreak:

the only thing different is that the firewall it three inches closer to the crossmember so you wont be able to set it as farback as a z.

I'm going with a dodge 360 since their motor mounts are up front on the block instead of the back (ala chevy) so hopefully i should't need a offset plate setup on my mounts like the chevy guys do. plus I'm just a mopar fan
icon_biggrin.gif

and the steering rack/clearances are different as up to 3 or more different ZX steering setups so headers can be a PITA

-chevy motors will have their motor mounts DEAD EVEN with the crossmember mount for a direct (ie. no offset) bolt up, if Mopar motor is further fwd you will need offset plates without hacking your firewall assuming a mopar motor is as long as a chevy

-for kits their are some out their (John's/MSA) but none are reccomended and parts they do supply are easily made by yourself or any fabricator for cheap, had all mine made for a $20 bottle of hooch by a welder/fabricator, go thru the site links

you can find links (where's our 'links' tab?) by going thru Pete's page listed on the hybridz homepage and direct ZX info including an old writeup of mine with that 3" etc info at

http://24.179.154.47/jcaudle/V8index.html

where there are writeups and pics of a few installs

any q's after that feel free

Guest John Adkins

The stock Mopar small block mount positions are in the same position that the JTR offset mount plates put mounts on a small block Chevy using the JTR mounting position. This works great in 240-260-280 Zs, but in the ZX? Ross would know more about those than I do... icon_smile.gif

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

quote:

Originally posted by John Adkins:

The stock Mopar small block mounts positions are in the same position that the JTR offset mount plates

If I understand correctly (given two separate replies seem to say same thing) you'd then need 'reverse' offset plates to put the mopar in the ZX assuming you mount to the crossmember horns on the xmember. Or weld plates to your xmember (triangulate your own horn).

Guest Anonymous

hey guys thanks for setting me straight. i guess that us what i get for talking about things with just what i have heard around the net. icon_rolleyes.gif next time before i open my mouth i try to make sure it is accurate.

icon_smile.gif any ways the steering lickage post about them having three different setups just perked my curiosity. i have a plain jane car no a/c, no p/s, nothing, nada, so i was wandering if that would make any differances in how i will have to mount it for good header room?

You most likely have the non power rack'n'pinion. Your drivers side header has to clear the steering rod coming down. See my 'rag joint' and '1-3/4' header post....I'll be selling my current setup which clears....1.5" primaries to Y pipe that clears my 700R4 etc....it's the excess torque of my roller and EFI that have me going to 1-3/4's to maximize my top end as bottom is just fine thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey thank's for replying to my post. It is good to know that there are others that share my need for speed. Thanks for the good info, I will be needing it in the future. Another quick question, which tranny was the MSA kit made for? I know I could make my own mounting plate for cheeper, but I don't have the means or the time to do so. Thanks again.