HybridZ

Different gears for the T-5???

Guest mattrp

There are a couple of shops that do T5 work that can swap gears around. Pick up a copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. there are several shops that can customize the trans for you and upgrade it to later specs. Watch the budget though - you might turn out to be ahead going with a T56! Hanlon is th eguy on the East Coast who did my Tremec - he's damned good and very impressive to watch. He stripped that puppy FAST and foound a bunch of problems quickly...

Guest mattrp

I currently have a T-5, non world class, and it has held up barely to my abuse, but I think a T-5 WC will hold up, I just cant stand the fact that I have this V8 revving at 3 grand when cruising on the freeway at 80. Does anytbody know of different overdrive gears that can be installed in a T-5 WC that will get it closer to the 0.62 of the T-56. I really dont have the money for the T-56, but I will do that if I have to.

I am looking for either a T-56 or a T-5 WC right now, so that I can replace the one in my car this summer when the term ends. Anybody got one in good shape to sell???

Thanks,

Matt

Guest Fast Frog

Mattrp:

I posed almost the same ? five yrs ago to a GM customer rep. He informed me that GM did produce a close ratio WC T-5 with a 2.74 1st gear and a .74 OD. But I've never seen one or know anyone that has. I took matters in my own hand and had A-1 Trans in Denver machine a .75 OD gear and install it. It cost me about $400 plus the trip to Denver. The .63 OD gear was just to numerically low for me. With the .75 ratio, I gained 1+mph per sec/per sec acceleration while still getting some benefit of the OD towards gas mileage while cruising. With the .63 gear, my tach was showing 2450rpm+/-. With the .75 gear, it shows 2900 rpm. I,ve calculated that I've lost 1 1/2 to 2 mpg with the .75 gear. But gas mileage isn't why one builds a hybrid Z is it. biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

No, gas mileage is a ploy we use to talk the wives into a built 700r or T56 (or other OD tranny).
smile.gif

Lone

and new trans/engine/intake/carbeurator/cam/exhaust/efi...and brakes are for safety and soundproofing for their comfort smile.gif

PS I'm at the exhaust and EFI part....

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.