HybridZ

Swaping gears from one nissan trans to another

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is this posible? I would like to put the 1st, 2nd from my 73 four speed into my 81 five speed. I mechanic who I think know what he is talking about says it has been done. Has anyone heard of this,,is it posible? The 73 trans has a 3.549:1 1st and 2.197 2nd Vs. my current 3.06 and 1.858. 3rd is really not much different, forth is identical(1:1)

Anyone??

I've never had any actual experience w/the Borg Warner 4/5spd's; however, Most Mfg's during the 70's/80's created their 5spd by using their 4spd housing & merely adding a 5th gear& its counter gear to the outside/tailend of the transmission housing, just before the rear output shaft; then they added a seperate cover (stamped metal housing) that was bolted over the 5th gear assemble.

So the housings should be the same; the only problem is you cant just swap gears-you also have to swap the countershaft. The countershaft also contains gears opposite the actual set of gears that your synchro's engage whenever you shift gears.

The gears attached to your synchro's can be removed individually while the countershaft is one piece; so you can't just swap gears you also have to swap the countershaft; which means your 4spd gears & 4spd countershaft would have to work with the 5th gear on the tail end of the 5spd as well as its countershaft assembly.

Not having any actual experience-I would say you'ld have to have both trans assemblies on a table side by side for comparison as you dissassemble each, one piece at at time; and dont confuse your parts!

Maybe someone else has done this; I havent.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Yes, it can be done. At least some gears can be, and I don't know which ones. I remember Norm talking ages ago about his tranny, which used a mixture of gears from various trannies. Maybe he'll chime in here and add his 2 cents.