HybridZ

280Z Fuel Sending Unit

I got a problem with my fuel sending unit. Above half tank and my gauge works correctly and fine. But anything below that its a guess. Sometimes it will start to work right and i'll read close to E. but most of the time it stays half way. I think my sending unit is broken..Any suggestion? I found a great price on a new sending unit. Only problem is it's for a 70-74 S30..mine's a 75..Will this still work? also i will be getting the pro comp gauge soo.....I don't know if i should get this sending unit which is OEM or should i get the Autometer one part # 3262...PLEASE HELP I AM REALLY CLOSE TO ORDERING MY GAUGES AND WANT THE RIGHT THINGS BEFORE I GET THEM.

It might be your fuel gauge that is the problem, mine never worked on my 280z. I just bought another fuel sending unit for my Pro Comp gauge because the other one had some major play in the metal rod that holds the float. This newer sending unit had a little play on it, but not as bad as the old one so I had to put a small modified washer on it for it to work GOOD all the time, easy fix once I figured out what to use. I'd pull your sending unit out and examine it first, which literally takes 2 mins.

The fuel level sending unit works by using a metal "finger" that runs across some tiny wires, which in turn sends the correct ohm signal to your gauge. If there's any play in the "finger" or metal rod then the signal won't be read. I tested mine THOROUGHLY to find this info out on exactly what causes them to lose a signal to the gauge.

BTW, ask for a picture of the one that is for sale and compare it to yours...

Hope that helps.

I'll be ordering the same pro comp gauge that you are talking about. You got the 73 ohm emptly and 8-12 ohm full correct? can you tell me the steps needed to make it work correctly instead of reading 1/4 for full. Thanks, wheres the sending unit located? on top or the side?

The fuel level sending unit is located on the top of the fuel tank on the passenger side. If you pull up the rear deck you'll see your access cover for it, which is held down by 2 screws. Unscrew it and you'll see the top of your sending unit. There should be a metal ring that clamps it down onto a rubber seal. First unplug the sending unit, then turn the metal ring counter clockwise to get it off and gently pull the sending unit out of the tank making sure the rubber gasket doesn't fall off into the tank. Easy huh :)

After you get it out of the tank you can test your gauge by plugging the sending unit back in and moving the metal rod with the float on it and watch your gauge to see if it moves.

Yes, I got the gauge you referenced: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=atm%2D5416&searchinresults=false&N=700+115

And to make it work, I followed this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127605

GL,

Tim