HybridZ

lsd swap

Guest zmaize

Guest zmaize

got a chance to buy a lsd from 300zx for 350 plus shipping.

Good deal?

Also, I remember coming across a page before where the lsd swap was detailed, but i can't find it now. The part I was concerned about was the neccessity for custom-made halfshafts. (I think the ends that go into the diff were unequal lengths).

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way its for an 83 zx in which I am planning a 327 sbc. icon_smile.gif

If the diff is good shape/tight on all input/outputs and clutches are working then the price is fine. Be sure it's 4/87-12/89 turbo and not from an ivory white SE as they had a unique viscous version that's not bolt in.

Nothing custom at all to bolting one in. Web page you saw was likely for the viscous unit above for which custom shafts were put together, or for a rear custom brace to keep the finned LSD cover. Most avoid both and just bolt their posi in using an older standard R200 rear cover sticking with the clutch type. You'll also need the front yoke from an old R200 to swap on the posi as it's front yoke is unique to the 300ZX and incompatible with your diff. Just a large pipe wrench to hold your diff and a breaker bar/snipe and socket will remove it. I just install with similar force (used a torque wrench for other uses in a shop once for 180-200ft-lbs) and have done this on 4 or 5 with no trouble. Replace all the seals at this time as well (side ones anyhow, front if any problems with it). No gasket required on rear/silicone works as well or better and is easier to remove if you ever service it. Toss in one bottle of GM posi additive with your 75W90 synthetic or similar as well. When you first drive it take in slow tight figure 8's to get the fluid in all the discs to prevent burning etc. (FAQ?)