HybridZ

Mounting R200 in a 71 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The origional differential is starting to show its age and the effects of 300+ hp and a 700R4. I found a R200 in a junked 280z and got the mustashe bar stub shafts etc.

A visual inspection raises some questions.

First what is required to properly mount an r200 into an early (71) 240z.

Is there an advantage in using the later stub shafts?

Is there any thing that can be done to minimize the rattle-clunk-bang of our famous

240z IRS.

Would I be better off replacing the r180? It seems lighter and I like the ratio better than the r200.

I am fairly new to the fourm so forgive me for asking questions you have fielded 100 times.

Uncle ED

quote:

First what is required to properly mount an r200 into an early (71) 240z.

Tear out the old stuff, bolt in the new. You need the mustache bar from the donor, and it gets flipped around, rings forward. Driveshaft needs to be longer too.

quote:

Is there an advantage in using the later stub shafts?

Later stubs have more splines and are somewhat thicker. Early stubs can be used unmodified (except for dust shield and bearing seal mods) with the superior 280ZX turbo CV half shafts. Later stubs require a machined adapter.

quote:

Is there any thing that can be done to minimize the rattle-clunk-bang of our famous

240z IRS.

The clunk is caused by warn out parts. Replace all the bushings. Do a search here for Front diff mount. ScottieGNZ has posted some pictures of a pretty easy fix that uses a new, stock mount. There are pics at http://240z.jeromio.com and http://www.usq.edu.au/users/degroot/240z/pages/diffmount.htm of a more difficult fix that eliminates the inferior stock mount. Or, you can use a solid mount.

quote:

Would I be better off replacing the r180? It seems lighter and I like the ratio better than the r200.

In my opinion, no. You can get 3.54 R200 if you need taller gearing. There's also 3.9 and 4.11 as well as the more expensive 3.7 LSD.

quote:

I am fairly new to the fourm so forgive me for asking questions you have fielded 100 times.

The search feature of this forum does work well - I use it often. Lots of really good info and discussion there.