HybridZ

drag race soild axle rear set-up... need help

Guest Night_rider_383

Guest Night_rider_383

I wanna say im sorry for bugging all of you like this. This will be about my third or forth post in less than a week.

I'm working on building a 240z, 6 sec 1/4 mile, pro streeter.

I know im gonna run a ford 9'' out back but i was thinking about buying a "back-half" frame kit and fabbing it to fit the car

Has anyone done a back half job on a z car?

If so what kit did you use s&w, ce, art, etc and what was some of the probs you ran into? Also any tips on doing it would be great.

Nothing to hold anybody too but does anyone have a good guess to what the lenght of the axle housing would have to be to fit a back half kit in with 31''X18.5''-15 tires on 15''X15'' wheels?

I know how to do this type of set up on a full frame car but i know being the z has sub frames its gonna be alot diff.

Also what would be some other mods to brace the chassis for this type racing with some street time? I know for sure ladder bars or 4-link, 12 pt. cage, Wheelie bars, Some type of sub frame ties, Rear coil over set up

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum

John (nightrider)

I did a back half job on my Z, but I didn't use a kit, I bought frame rail material, and after carful measurements welded a frame in the back. With 15 X 10" rims and 295-50-15 tires my diff is 45" hub to hub. For what your doing, with that much power, and constant drag racing. I would go with a full frame kit from one of thoses places you mentioned. They can custom make anything you want. That way you can make mounts for the body and channel it over the frame.

Guest Night_rider_383

Scottie-GNZ.... Naw man nothing that wild. I'm building around a 850 hp 6-71 383 stroker for the z. Taking the weight will be around 2,800-2,900 lbs with me then i would think if i can get it off the line with a good launch pulling the wheels about 3-4 foot off the ground for about 30 ft. or so. Then i could hit mid to high 6's easy with the right shift points.

Mike kZ... Thanks for the info. I'll look into having a full frame built for my car. That sounds like it might be the best for me. BTW i checked out your site. I must say SWEET rides you got bud.

John, my car is the black with lime green stripes, the other Z belongs to Lee (JuJu from this forum). He lives close to you in Dallas, thats also his ElCamino if you serched around for awile. Also check out Art Morrisons web page, they have custom frames. http://www.artmorrison.com/

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]