HybridZ

IRS ALternative - Questions

Scottie-GNZ

Guest Anonymous

The backset issue sounds like a reasonable assumption Scottie. As it is now, most either run adapters or brakes with deep hats to run those wheels, a wider rear end with that backset should pull the wheels in quite a bit and would probably make shortening unecessary unless you go to wide, but your running what 4.5 bs now? Another nearly 1.5 sounds like it would mean the rear end could be nearly 3" wider than the Z and still fit under the wheel wells. Another thing, since its all fabrication anyway, the shock could probably be angled in a bit more at the top if more clearance is needed (although thats probably not a issue as much as the inner fender wells, which could be moved a bit too). The Tbird is a cast iron center section, the lincoln and cobra are appearantly aluminum.

Regards,

Lone

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest needwaymorespeed

Building a new hub carrier nmay be a bit of work but I feel it would be easier than installing a complete assy.

The beauty of the r230s hub is that the beaings reside in a aluminum hub thet is held on to the stock knuckle with 5 bolts-so you actuall dont have to machine the piece that holds the bearings just the knuckle.

I need to get some pictures up,whats that saying a pictures worth a thousand words.

Curtis

Guest Anonymous

Curtis,

I just finished taking apart the rear hub carrier from a tt300. I was thinking along those same lines but have not done anything more than think. Are you going to try to just use the bearings and the splined part and make a new carrier or use the 300tt hub and adapt that part directly to the Z assembly? Keep us informed of your progress. Mark

Guest needwaymorespeed

Im going to use the bearings the splined hub and the carrier that the bearing is installed in ,then bolt that piece to the new rear knuckle.

Ill keep you all informed,someday ill get it done.

Curtis

Guest needwaymorespeed

I did actually use the stock 300 z knuckle also I cut all the arm attaching points off of it ,cleaned it up milled it flat and am now left with aroughly a 6x6 piece-im retaining this because it thas the seal in it for the cv joint,just trying to make it easy.

Curtis

Lone - I am running 15x8 Weld Draglites.

BLKMGK - I am weighing my options. Unless the T-Bird/Cobra is available with 3.27 of taller, it would probably not be a choice. I do not want to have the expense of the swap then also have to get CVs and gears. Might as well stay with the Nissan IRS and get axles. That is what makes the 8.8 solid or the Corvette a better option for me. I am just itching to put some slicks on this car.

8.8's with 3.27 came in Mustangs with an Auto and was an option I think - 3.08 was stock. I don't know what the 'birds used but swapping the gears would cost you about $150 labor, getting a set of used 3.27 gears would be cake. 3.08 is also probably not hard to find. If you'd like I'll try to find some, still need to measure an 8.8 for you - is raining and yucky here right now though (sigh).

Lemme' know - I'll do what I can to help.