HybridZ

T56 - possible problem... A question

BLKMGK

Pulled the drain plug on my T56 today for the first time. Wanted to see if it had any fluid in it and prepare to fill it up since I had the shifter off... Pulled the plug and found a TON of junk stuck to the filler. I nearly died - some of it was pretty big too! Looked liek pieces of gear stuck on it. However upon closer examination it seems that my chip collector has fractured and what I was seeing was pieces of the magnet stuck to the plug. WTF?!

I THINK I recall that the chip collector is real close to the drain, yes? Perhaps someone dropped my trans in shipping and it fractured the magnet? I stuck a magnet of my own in there and fished out a bunch more bits. I intend to flush the trans with some tranny fluid and see if more junk comes out the drain. How worried should I be? Until I actually drive it I dount think I'm going to know how well it shifts... Maybe put regualr Dextron III in it for a few miles and then have it flushed with Synchromesh? This is a problem I do NOT need this close to being done... icon_redface.gif

Guest Anonymous

Well....do the fragments attract the other fragments or small iron filings not fron your tranny? I'd clean and examine those first.

If you really want to grab at straws maybe you could figure they were left over by a lazy tech from the last rebuild...

I'm about to get my car back from installing a rebuilt 700r4, hope I don't have the same questions in my mind after I remind myself to check because of your post......

Hope you're right about the busted magnet.

Mark

I'm 100% sure that the fragments I pulled out were from a magnet. That much I'm sure of. My qorry is that pieces might have been floating around in there sticking to anything they could find - ouch! I'm also pretty sure that the T56 has a chip collector magent - many trannies do. This has got to be from that, thankfully I didn't find a tn of shiny stuff attached to the magnet pieces while I was at it - THAT would've beemn worrisome.

What color is synchromesh BTW? The little dribble of fluid that came out was nearly black and was just the dregs from the bottom of the trans. It might never have been changed, that would be no surprise icon_smile.gif I'll see what the fluid I run through it looks like, I'll try to do that tonight.

Not the same BLKMGK - not ever seen another one tho'.

Magnet looked liek one of those cheapo' ones from Radio Shack - not the nice rare earth ones I've got kicking around.

Crate and trans case were in GOOD shape, no marks. Still, something must have shocked it at some point. Poured some fluid through it tonight, when it's done dripping tomorrow I'll stick another magnet in there and see if anything else dropped down. I've got a few more quarts to pour through too - I'll try to remember to cap the tailshaft next time (ahem).

If anyone has seen inside a T56 and can tell me where th echip magnet is located I'd appreciate knowing. I THINK it's close to the drain plug so maybe it's not been floating around in there - let's hope so!