HybridZ

wood interior

zedsaid

Hi, i've got a 280zx and i'm looking at doing a custom interior down the road...

want to do the hatch area in wood... put padded slots to stand the T-tops in where the speakers are presently. Move the speakers to the back where the little cubby and the jack are presently located, probably do the dash in wood as well... don't know that i've ever seen it done in a z. (i'm thinking much like old wood bedded pickups)

The thing is, the interior isn't in all that terrible shape for me to gut it until i'm ready to do the work. So i don't really have an idea going into it what kind of space i'll really have to work with.

Can anyone point me to a diagram of the (stripped) interior of a 280zx? or maybe even good photos (i've looked, and half of the photos i find i can't make heads nor tails of)

Also, is there any gain in replacing the stock fuel tank and putting in an aluminum or plastic fuel cell in an effort to make more space, maybe enough to move the spare and jack into the same spot (under the flat)? I figure i can make up for some of the weight of the wood while i'm at it, though i can't imagine it'll weigh all that much more than what's in there with the carpet and all. If i want to fit the tank and spare/jack in there, am i going to have to give up a bunch of fuel capacity?

thanks for any pointers,

z