HybridZ

where can I Find a 79 R200

Guest Anonymous

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

well I am a little ignorant so I am not sure if I got a sceaming deals or a sore @ss. I bought a rear end this weekend from a guy in town that told me it was an R200. I was a little leary cause it doesn't look much different than my original that is still in the car. I have teh casting numbers but don't know who to call. He also thought it was a 3.54 but it is a 3.36. So if it is an R200 I am very pleased, but if it is an R180 I got reamed.

a little help on the the difference please?

R200/R180/easy difference

If you're Shaquille O'neal you can easily palm the back cover of an r200, if not you're working at it icon_smile.gif

Rear plate on R200 is octagonal

Rear plate/cover on R180 is rectangular

R180 has pentagonal plates (say 5" diameter) bolted on the sides surrounding halfshaft inputs, R200 does not

all of these features can be visibly seen on any Z that hasn't been severely dropped by a quick peak from under the rear bumper

The R200 is a physically wider pumpkin--just take your tape measure and compare the distance from side to side where the axles stick out. They are similar looking, but there are definite noticable differences in dimensions. This very topic has come up recently as well--someone posted that one of the guys sites has a comparo between the two (not sure if it was jeromios site or not).

David