HybridZ

BLKMGK, Pretty Please

Scottie-GNZ

I just found a site that said the 240Z rear track was 53". Kinda surprised me, so I went out and measured my rear, HARUMPH icon_biggrin.gif, from the outer edges of the tires and it was 66"!! With my flares I could easily add another .5" on each side. Could you please take the same measurements on your 'Stang and let me know what you got, what size tires, wheel and BS.

The 'Stangs are listed as having a 60" rear track but what is imporatant to me is a measurement to the outer edges. Sounds like a match or maybe just a little extra BS required.

Any differences between the 94-on and earlier rears except for brakes?

Scottie, I will try to do this tomorrow. I know I've owed you this for awhile now but I've just not gotten under there. Tell me exactly where to measure - flange to flange? Center of treads? Get with me offline if you need to.

I'd do it today but they're calling for torential rains with flash flooding and it's VERY dark and rumbling out there icon_eek.gif

Rain let up and I rolled in the mud for ya' - good news Scottie icon_smile.gif 54.5 from dust shield to dust shield and 68 edge of tire to edge of tire - outside edge. I'd say you've got a swap candidate!!!

Be aware that S10's have 8.8s with flug axles too. I'll try to measure a later model Mustang too next time I'm at the shop. If I can remember to take my camera I'll snap some pics too.

P.S. I swear, when we get heavy rains half my neighbors yard ends up in my driveway. Argh! I'm building berms next time this puppy is paved. icon_rolleyes.gif

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Is that your Mustang that your measuring from Jim, and what year is it? Thanks. Ya'lls weather that severe still? Man, mudslides... we're baking out here (cool this weekend though).. Keep dry... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Yup, mine and it's an 88. that number should be good from about 82 to 93 at least. They used weaker 7.5s until 85 though. I believe 85 was the cutover year. 94 MIGHT be the same but I'll try to check later this week. I never really plan visits to my friend's shop - I just drop by and am usually unprepared for pics and whatnot icon_sad.gif

Weather stayed clear - weird! My neighbor's yard is a touch higher than mine and the gorund see s shade most of the time - no grass. So I get mud when it pours - yuck! He put up a silt fence today though, he really is a nice guy and is trying to prevent this from happening (shrug).

Okay, got over to the shop today but had no tape and no newer Mustangs were on the rack so... spoke to my friend about this. 94+ Mustangs have a WIDEr track than the one I measured for you. However the rear housing is th eSAME! Seems the axles are 3/4inch longer with the total being 1.5inches WIDER. This is what he told me FWIW, not sure it helps or hurts but it certainly widens the salvage options. I didn't ask him about the Explorer rears.. icon_sad.gif

Hope that helps! Will try to snap some pics under a car when I can get to one on a rack for ya' Scottie!

I measured some at the track the other night, so this what I know.

- 94+ with disc brakes measured 62.5" from the hat of the rotor.

- 94+ measured 69.5" from the outside edge of the tires. It had 245s on, I would guess 8" factory rims.

- Early GT (year??) measured 66" from the outside edge of the tires, which exactly what mine measured. It had McCreary G60-15 tires on phone dial wheels.

Conclusion, for my car anyway, is that I can use early 8.8 with my existing wheels/tires. I can also use the late rear with a 5.5" BS wheel and slightly narrower tire, which I would be doing with a slick or Quick Time Pro, etc.

Will measure a Supra tonight and get over to my buddy's shop where I can see one in the air.