HybridZ

Does a 3.364 LSD exist?

Guest KraZ4spd

Most of the LSD come in a 3.7 ratio "stock". You can get deeper ratios from other cars using an R230 rear (late 300ZX) but I don't think you can get anything stock that's 3.36. You'd have to put somehting together and I don't know how feasible that is as there are issues with ring bolt size. If you do a search here you'll find some folks working on those issues using spacers etc.

As for what's "best" for your app - provide some details, I don't memorize what everyone is running generally. What are your goals? What motor? A 3.7 rear tends to be a pretty decent all around gear for a car with an OD gear IMO. Some of us need to go 3.3 series like Scottie but his is a special case. Others are looking for 4 series gears but with a trans that has as low a 1st as yours probably does and the T56 I think you wouldn't be happy with that. 3.54 seems pretty common but it's not available stock in LSD that I know of. This is an R200 right?

Guest Anonymous

Strictly speaking, you can have a LSD in whatever ratio you can find gears to put in it. The two parts are separate, the ring and pinions can be whatever ratio available (3.36 are around for the right $$$) and the LSD unit made by Nissan and a few others. Finding the whole package put together would be a holy grail find at least from what I'm observing. Not sure if they ever used the 3.36 with LSD, but could be wrong. (not an unusual situation.)

Lone

You can certainly buy all the parts to make one but the price would be astronomical, for me anyway. You would need to find a 300ZXT LSD and if you can find one it will run you at least $400. Next you need the 3.36 R&P from a R-200 and can you say "Hen's teeeth"? Or you buy the one Ross C has for sale for $300+ship. BTW, I will be be freeing up one soon, but more on that later. If you cannot find a 300ZXT LSD, then you can buy one from NISMO for about $800 and it is a much better unit. You either have to sleeve the LSD for the smaller bolts used in the R&P or drill and tap the R&P for the larger bolts used in the LSD. All new bearings and a driveline shop to do it right and you well into 4-figures.

Kinda makes you wonder why some of us are looking into alternatives, huh? I have an R-200 3.36 in the mail that I will use for a short while until I get my final setup, what ever that is. It supposedly makes a slight whine, but will suit my purpose of drag racing for a while. After that it will become available but it will be welded.

Had a close look at a late Supra rear suspension yesterday. It is a nice compact setup and with a little "fabrication" icon_biggrin.gif, I can make it fit. Probably too wide to fit under the stock Z fenders. It measures 67" from the outside edge of the tires and that is with 17x9.5" wheels with 245 tires. That is only 1" wider than what I have today! I was just salivating when I saw the configuration, with aluminum arms, 12+" brakes, 3.133 LSD and guaranteed to be lighter than the Nissan IRS. Now I just have to find one icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif.

If not, I will go with a Ford 8.8 as nothing else has the ratios I need.

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Scottie-GNZ ]