HybridZ

stripped my 78's interior

I spent about 5 hours taking out all the interior panels in my Z. it was pretty fun. Found some pretty cool things and overall my Z's in better shape body wise than I thought. I don't really have anything I'll have to do any repair on rust wise at all. my passanger frame rail is crushed, but it's still solid. under all the panels it was 99.99% rust free, and from the looks of it, my speakers are still good. a LOT of stuff still looked new (the rear tail light housings, the fume box, the metal plate that covers the fume box, etc)

judging by all the little coins and the xmas ornament, my Z hasn't been driven since at least X-mas of 1986 I didn't find ANY coins in it newer than the mid 80's so it seems like it sat for a long time. OH and the orange carpet I thought that was replaced, was the ORIGINAL BLACK carpet. that had faded so much it turned orange. and I always thought my carpet was just covered in grease and oil!! :mrgreen:

I took a lot of pictures this time. and I fixed the one dent my body had, in the left rear quarter panel. I just took a screwdriver and hammer and beat it out. its still there, but at least now it's not a deep dent. I'm sure if I spent more time, and had some sandpaper and primer I could make it perfect, but whatever.

I'm going to be VERY lazy and NOT post any pictures here, but I will post my photobucket album link haha.

so, for 900 bucks, I think I got a good deal, even though I've had to rebuild the head, I need a new radiator, and I need an engine rebuild.

oh, about the radiator thing. I thought it was overheating due to the heater hoses being looped together. So I plugged them. After warming up the engine I noticed something for the first time. once the Tstat opens, if you rev the engine the lower rad hose collapses. I don't know if this is due to a plugged radiator or a bad hose, but it causes the engine to overheat.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v230/half_breed/My%20Z/?start=20

one last thing. Could someone tell me why my exhaust manifold is SILVER and not covered in rust? one of the pictures I took, has little spots of rust that look like it has some sort of coating that flaked off.

Good find. I bought my '72 in N. Phoenix for $900. It too had one dent, minimal rust, and a crushed framerail. That's one of the first things I did was to rip out the interior. I had to pound the floors straight with a hammer, then por-15 went on the whole floor. I'd replace your old rotted hoses right away. Mine sat since late 70's or early 80's, and I've eventually succumbed and gone as far as to swap engines, redo the interior, etc... Not the most financially sound principal, but It's starting to look pretty good. Now I just need some paint.