HybridZ

Looking for some fan shroud advice....

Hi all, I've got a 74.5 260 with a '85 305 and am playing with the cooling system right now. Running a 3 core Z radiator. I had a homemade fan shroud( a sheet metal box around the radiator with a hole for the 14 in electric fan mounted on it) the box is about 2" deep and covers the radiator completely. I was overheating on the highway(up to 215-220) with a 160 thermostat in, but cooling fine in stop and go. Last weekend I removed the shroud and installed a 16 inch fan without a shroud. Took it out on the highway and temps stayed at 180-190 the whole way(75 degrees outside). But after running it and got off the highway the fan wouldn't cool down at idle(the temp would still go up at idle.)

Okay, so I need to have a fan shroud. But it seems the one I'm running is restricting airflow at highway speed. Should I modify this one(trap door, louvers,etc) or should I start boxing in the front for better air flow to force the air through it all.

Looking for any suggestions anyone might have!!!Thanks!