HybridZ

A/C In a 70 V8 Z?

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest KraZ4spd

I'm not sure about this. How can I get a factory A/C look in my 70 Z interior? What components would I need to make it work with a V8? Did the 70 Z's come with A/C?

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure what year they started with dealer add-on air in the early Z's. My '72 had it. What it amounted to was a a/c coil in the air inlet of the Z's fan motor assembly (bottom of the unit on the passengers side). Mine had a small little control that hung off the right side of the dash with a knob on it, my car had the underhood portion removed (compressor and condensor) so I can't tell you how it functioned, it was on the passenger side of the block judging from the remaining hoses. I just ordered the MSA complete kit (hasn't arrived yet icon_mad.gif ), not sure how it'll work, if it blows some cool air on my face I'll be happy with it, it has the smaller sanden type compressor and I'll need to modify the mounts for the chevy v8 block, outside of that the A/C won't know its not connected to a Datsun motor.. icon_smile.gif

Lone

Ps: there was another post recently and it was about the Vintage air systems, not sure on they're price and I didn't want to remove the dash again (if I have to, to install the MSA one I'm gonna be less than happy, the dash is a bitch to put back in, IMHO.).

Guest KraZ4spd

I checked with Vintage Air, they don't have anything that will work with the early z cars icon_sad.gif Oh well I guess I'll have to dig out the MSA book.

I used their universal "Space Saver" model #02300-VUZ-A w/o vents heat/cool w/def.I got the one without vents so I could use the stock vents in my '72 240Z. I had to modify the cowl area a bit to fit the fan motor part of the Space Saver. The unit is one piece,fan motor,evaporator. The dimentions are 24"L X 7"D X 8.5"H. Call 1-800-to-cool-u for a catalog, I'm sure they have more choises now then when I bought this system. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Lone, as many details as you can share on that install would be appreciated. I've actually got most of the parts to do a Z install using the stuff that the factory used but have been leaning towards the Vintage system. My understanding is that the Datsun stuff didn't cool real well so I'm a little hesitant to go through that trouble.

MikeKZ - thank you for sharing! Vintage has a couple of small systems that look like they might fit behind the console area if the stock stuff was removed. There's supposed to be a couple of dealers local to me so once I'm on the road I may be chatting with them. I like the idea of using the stock vents, I can't imagine the hassle of replacing them and who wants to ruin the stock look? well okay, some of the billet vents do look nice! I really like the new billet sort of control panel they've got - all electric I think too!

Honestly guys - $900 for an effecient system that uses available coolant is worth it. However if the dealer wants another $900 in install labor I too may have to become profeccient (sp?) in this stuff icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

There is a guy in ST. Petersburg that used a system from a late model Chevy Cavalier FWD. He said the conversion was very easy and the best part was the R134 freon along with the fact that it came from a FWD so it is very compact.

Guest Anonymous

I'll let you know how it works. If I had known the Vintage stuff was only 900.00 then I might have gone that route, I assumed it was more expensive. The MSA kit is like 815.00 for a R134 system and I'll have to make mounts on the engine to use it, but its complete with all hoses and stuff. It should work ok, like I say if I can get a little cold air in my face, I'm good to go.

As was mentioned, most everything from the firewall forward is whatever you wish to use, find the bits from any chevy, or even a import many of them use the smaller compressor and have smaller condensors that fit in front of the radiator. I (without measuring it like a dope) just had my dismantler throw in a condenser from a F-body while I was on my buying spree and its not even close, way to tall. icon_mad.gif

Lone

We would all love to see the install if you can post pictures! icon_smile.gif Sounds like it's a winner! I'm curious as to how much fabbing it takes to mount it. Are you using the current ducting, or are there different vents?

David

Guest Anonymous

I'll document what I come up with for mounts (basically I'm going to cut they're mount up and hang it off the block in wreckless abandon... icon_smile.gif ), When I get it from MSA. Will keep the crew informed. I'd also like to see alternatives people have come up with.

Lone

Guest Fast Frog

Mike KZ:

One can use GM components to install an AC. My retired mechanic friend installed an AC in is 77 ZV8 with out too much fabrication. He used primarily salvage GM parts and saved a bunch of $$$$. He hooked it right up to the stock Datsun air distribution unit. If your interested, his phone# is (970) 434-7458.

Rick