HybridZ

What's the Diff?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All! First-time post, awesome board! Hopefully someone can clarify some questions I've been having...

I have a 72 240Z with 4sp MT... i believe the stock rear end is a 3.545 R180

I found a 79 280ZX 2+2 N/A in the bone yard with a 5sp which I belive is a 3.545 R200

I recently purchased a very rusty 83 280ZX Turbo with AT for a motor swap.

First, can anyone confirm / correct the rear end ratios I've mentioned above, assuming that they are still in the stock configuration?

Second, the previous owner of the 83 ZXT said that all ZXT in 83 came with a 3.90 R200, but that the diff from an automatic would not work with a manual (?!?). Can this be? icon_confused.gif

Third, does anyone know of a Z site that details the do's and dont's of a Z to ZX motor swap?

Thanks in advance for your help... I'm trying to determine what the best combination would be for performance / cruising. Any input on that is welcome as well... the numbers seem so abstract!

John

quote:

Originally posted by Banzai72:

the previous owner of the 83 ZXT said that all ZXT in 83 came with a 3.90 R200, but that the diff from an automatic would not work with a manual (?!?). Can this be?
icon_confused.gif

John, first off, welcome to the site! You will find that many of the guys here have done this swap and know quite a bit about it--just make sure you hang around long enough to find out! Drax and Randy are two guys that coe immediately to mind that have this swap and they can give you great, accurate information.

Second, the differentials and transmissions don't have anything to do with each other, per se. I think he was referring to the gearing vs turbo boost response. Perhaps the turbo cars need a little bit of lower gearing to get into the boost sooner? Either way, if you are going to modify the turbo and/or engine, Drax and the others can give you the info you need.

Don't neglect to use the search function to guide you to the threads that have the rear end ratio information. This has been discussed before.

Regards,

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome, Davy!

There is so much information in these forums that it's almost overwhelming! I'm extremely green when it comes to Z-cars, but I'm learning fast thanks to the wealth of knowledge that others are willing to share!

I did go throught the archives and found the information I needed on the diff ratios. Just in case anyone else needs it, here is the link to the site...

Z Car Transmission & Rear End Gearing

And thanks for the clarification on the AT diff. I did not make sense to me either.

Enjoy the ride...

John

Hey dude, welcome. icon_smile.gif I've got some answers for you. icon_smile.gif

I have a 72 240Z with 4sp MT... i believe the stock rear end is a 3.545 R180

As far as I know all 4 speed 240z's were mated to a 3.364:1 R180.

I found a 79 280ZX 2+2 N/A in the bone yard with a 5sp which I belive is a 3.545 R200

Check out this link for accurate info. I believe its all correct. http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

Second, the previous owner of the 83 ZXT said that all ZXT in 83 came with a 3.90 R200, but that the diff from an automatic would not work with a manual (?!?). Can this be?

Check the page as I say. You can mix & match until your heart is content. Don't worry about the lies of the uninformed! icon_smile.gif

Third, does anyone know of a Z site that details the do's and dont's of a Z to ZX motor swap?

Try checking out my page. The link is in the signature at the bottom. Also at the end of the turbo tech article I wrote there are lots more links to sites similar to mine, from other people. All together there is a lot of info when you add up everyones contributions. icon_smile.gif

Welcome again!

Guest Anonymous

Richard--- Awesome site! You'll be getting alot of hits from me in the coming months! I definitely want to build the motor up to be something special. I'm already looking at I/C's and mandrel bent pipes... my imigintation is going nuts when I think about that turbo hitting at 12 psi! Hopefully, with a little help, I can keep it all under the hood! icon_wink.gif

Scottie--- Very impressive Z! It must be a serious rush making an 11.10 pass! I've got you bookmarked for your very detailed account of an intercooler installation! After reading Drax's page, I know that this will be a MUST!

By the way, I did not check to see if the trans in the 79 was a 4 or 5 speed... someone had already made off with the shift knob... I will DEFINITELY go back and take a look! Thanks for the tip!

John