HybridZ

Which engine to choose from

Guest Anonymous

Lone, that article is exactly one of my BEEFS with testing! Yeah, if they swapped th ecarb I'm betting it would've BEAT the EFI setup. Sacrilege? Nope, the EFI intake wasn't the SAME intake! Those ding-dongs compared apples to oranges if they were trying to show EFI vs Carb! I think that sucker was a big block too so th eHP difference that they found was pretty minimal for such a big motor if I recall correctly. Read that artcile just the other night and it irked me because they presented it as an induction shootout and not an intake shootout which was really what it was. icon_mad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I'm sure we're talking about the same article. Popular Hot Rodding... I agree, it didn't prove much outside of you put more fuel in a motor that can use it, it shows more power. Da.. Would have been nice if they would have backed it up with a bigger carb and look at the numbers. The mumbled something about not enough time or something.

I'd like to think that the mag's we hold with such high opinion were fair and would report it like it is. Unfortunately, I've been to a more than a few goat ropings and county fairs, and its my opinion that sponsors highly influence the opinions of the magazines. Or to put it bluntly, don't bite the hand that feeds... A few will come out and tell you a winner in a shootout, others will get all waffley and go "There isn't any clear winner in this shootout, each produce displays its own unique...blah blah blah"..

That said, I'm convinced that EFI definately is superior in mixing fuel across the RPM range. Peak HP? I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure the pro-stockers are still using dominators (or the like)?

Lone

There are a couple of reasons high-end drag racing still uses carbs.. First is fear of the unknown. These guys have spent lifetimes tuning the mechanical stuff, it works, why go electronic? Second is that honestly there might not be that much advantage. At WOT these things just pour buckets into the intakes, EFI's advantages just aren't that great. Lastly, cost. The perceptoin that it would cost much more - which is probably right. The big Top fuel guys simply wouldn't be able to find injectors and whatnot big enough - ir would have to be built.

Those are the reasons I've seen cited. Some of the other classes probably WOULD benefit but if all you're really measuring is WOT performance EFI isn't going to be that much better. Look at the class rules in the NHRA books, many of them outlaw EFI as does NASCAR. Carb'd cars haven't been produced in how many years? Yet they run in NASCAR and NHRA all the time in new bodies (sigh).

At WOT EFI should be a little better due to effecient mixture and no wall wetting but it loses the cooling effect. It's driveability, part throttle tuning, and ability to run forced induction that's not draw through that gives it advantages for us. EFI is simply more flexible and once your comfortable tuning it you can do most anything....

Guest Anonymous

I've also heard that if you use a dual plane with a spacer under the carb you get sorta the best of both. Probably just compromises both and meets in the middle!

Webby