HybridZ

A trans by any other name...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All,

I have a 72 240Z and a very nice running 83 ZXT motor that I'm dying to put into it. I also want to upgrade to a 5 speed, but I am getting conflicting messages as to the durability of the Datsun 5sp.

I have a 5 speed from the boneyard that I picked out of an 82 n/a. Seems like it's in good shape, but I'm going to send it to a buddy to be tested out.

The guy at the Z shop tells me that the trans out of the ZX n/a will not hold the power of the turbo motor... especially up around the 300 hp area that I hope to achieve with some upgrades. He seems pretty dead on with most of the other stuff that he's told me, and it's not the first time that I've heard the durability of the Datsun unit questioned.

I have also heard that the Datsun 5 speeds are good up to 350-400 hp. Thus the confusion.

To top things off, the B/W T5 that he is recommending has also received mixed reviews for being sloppy or notchy depending on who you ask.

So, I open it up for debate... my gut says to trust the design and engineering folks at Nissan, but I want to hear from you all...

Thanks in advance for your comments...

icon_confused.gif

If you've already got the Nissan 5sp, I'd go ahead and stick it in there. Worst case is it breaks, right? Then you can to switch to the T5 (which is the same unit used in 5 liter Mustangs and Camaros). Or, since those plain 5spds are so crazy cheap, just stick another one in. Around here they're anywhere from $100-$150. Where as the ZXT T5s are hard to find.

I've read lots of turbo Z car write-ups where they're using the Nissan 5speed.

I'm using the Nissan 5 speed in my turbo car. (soon!) I know Jamie T has been through 3 of the transmissions before he finally went to a T5. Though he's 339hp at the rear wheels! icon_eek.gif That translates to a good 400+hp at the crank, with torque to match.