HybridZ

Clunking rear-end

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok-dokie folks. Rear-end clunk is still hanging around. All the suspension is poly, trans mount is new, diff mount is new, motor mounts are new. Oh yeah, this is on a stock '76. 4 speed. Clunks if you don't play out the clutch slowly, and if, at highway speeds, you hit the gas quickly, or let off the gas quickly. Any ideas? Don't think it's any U-joints, no kind of constant noise, and they seem to be rather tight. Checked em by hand. Only thing I haven't done is the diff strap. Are my symptoms consistent with anyone elses experiences with bad diff straps? Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

also checked said bolts. And yes, mustache bar bushings are indeed new! Driving it just a few minutes ago, might be bad oil in the diff, feels like the ring gear is acting kinda funny...

Guest Anonymous

diff bolts....diff bolts...the ones that hold the mount to the diff, right? If so, will try it at work with one of the mechanics impacts, much easier then the ole hand tools. Oh yeah, diff strap is in, not much difference, but a little, especially in take off

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: Racnoth ]

Yes, those are the bolts. In my case I hit them with an impact with the diff out of th ecar. In your case you won't be able to if it's installed - you'll have to use hand wrenches to turn the bolt heads up top. Before you do check to see if there's a gap between the mount and the diff or between the bolt head and the top of the diff. In my case with the car supposrted by the diff I could feel a gap up top, had I used a washer or tightened it further I would've been fine. Bit of work and it was snug, no more play or clunking. Check the strut mounts too - one of mine was loose. Also check the gland nut on top of the strut - if it's loose it'll rattle and clunk.

Guest Anonymous

well, tightened them up, and clunk still persists....think it might be driveshaft? As stated before, it clunks sometimes when dropping in gear, if i'm not real easy on it, and when you let off the gas quickly...