HybridZ

hydrolic or not

Guest Anonymous

Guest kc6wfs

I think if you have solid lifters you will have to adjust them at the rockers.

Another way would be remove the valve cover and one of the rockers and grab the pushrod and push down hard. If it moves down then they are not solid.

Whay year motor you have?

Dave

Don't use a generator, use an alternator. Jegs sells a 100amp chrome unit from ProForm for about $100. It's what I ended up with but have yet to use it so I can't speak to it's reliability. It's a "one wire" hookup. Anyone else using this unit?

Oh, do you have a short water pump or a long style pump? That will determine the alternator brackets you must run. I have short but may switch to a long in order to get more selection of brackets - the cost difference in brackets could be enough for the new pump! (shrug)

Now how the heck did this wind up here?! I responded in another thread for this one... Weird!

[ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest zfan

Just installed a 105 amp one wire alt. about a month or so ago. No problems as of yet. Knock on wood. Beats the Datsun 45 amp unit. very gutless,not enough juice. Especially if your running high amp electric fan, big stereo, fuel pump, MSD yada, yada , yada. Mike

Guest Anonymous

OK they do move down. so i am guessing they are hydro. i dont know the year. is there a number on the block that will tell me the year. i know it is pre 86 possibly pre 70's.

also would any know if there is an old stile alternator mounting stuff. and a newer stile. i was givin two generators with the motor. which he said were before the alternator so should i be looking for a different stile alternator bracket than the normal ones that kragen sells.

zach

quote:

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Don't use a generator, use an alternator. Jegs sells a 100amp chrome unit from ProForm for about $100. It's what I ended up with but have yet to use it so I can't speak to it's reliability. It's a "one wire" hookup. Anyone else using this unit?

(shrug)

Yeah, I've been thru 2 of those alt's (headers were close icon_rolleyes.gif ) Had one tested and it was only low 70's in amperage brand new icon_confused.gif rebuild shop could tell in a wink looking at it that it wasn't 100Amps.....

as for alternator mounts transdapt makes a neat one to put it beside harmonic balancer (uses engine block holes down at base by oilpan) and I have a corvette '82 aluminum bracket I used that worked great/bolts on front of head I'm no longer using