HybridZ

filter mounting

BlueZ31

Since im going to be running much larger cams than the stockers along with an engloids plenum and a hotter ignition i was considering mounting a slightly larger version of the turbo z31 hood scoop and placing a cone style air filter in it so it would have sort of a ram-air effect at speed (i drive mostly around 60mph to and from work daily) and so it would have access to much cooler air so the engine could breathe deep, my only concern other than people tampering with it would be hydrolocking the engine by ingesting rain water or carwash overspray (id have to be xtra careful, even though i already am)

I thought about using some sort of screen to break up raindrops or maybe a filter sock, but i cant think of anything else, can you guys lend me some ideas?

Since im going to be running much larger cams than the stockers along with an engloids plenum and a hotter ignition i was considering mounting a slightly larger version of the turbo z31 hood scoop and placing a cone style air filter in it so it would have sort of a ram-air effect at speed (i drive mostly around 60mph to and from work daily) and so it would have access to much cooler air so the engine could breathe deep, my only concern other than people tampering with it would be hydrolocking the engine by ingesting rain water or carwash overspray (id have to be xtra careful, even though i already am)

I thought about using some sort of screen to break up raindrops or maybe a filter sock, but i cant think of anything else, can you guys lend me some ideas?

For one, 'Ram Air' is a bit of a myth as far as cars are concerned. It will increase the amount of air available, and decrease the net intake charge temperature, but it's not going to 'force induce' anything at highway speeds without a GIGANTIC cone. Think about it this way, what ever air is scooped up by the dam is going to be resistance vs. the intake tubing and piston heads. That resistance will have to be overcome by torque to keep the car moving. So, even if it does force induce a tiny bit of air, any torque gains will be negated by the resistance generated by the dam.

If you want ram air, There are a couple of options. You could shield the filter from direct impact with incoming air/water. This way the air will still be induced from the dam, but water will bounce off the shield and drip down into the collection tray of your choosing. You could also louver the dam significantly so that incoming water would be deflected. Then there's the ever jerky answer 'just don't drive it in the rain'.

You wont hydro-lock from mere rain induction unless it's the return of the flooding of the earth, but it's still not good for your engine.

I personally would choose to shield the filter from direct contact with incoming charge, and install a redirection tray to keep diverted water away from hot/electrical components.

The factory air inlet for the airbox is directly behind the passenger side headlight. That is a high pressure area and is pretty direct for cold air. You will see more gains from a phenolic spacer between the upper and lower intake along with bypassing the throttle body coolant passages. However if you drive the car in cold weather you should leave the throttle body coolant hoses hooked up for safety.