HybridZ

r200 swap question

Guest zfan

Ok one more question! Im swapping a r200 in for my old r180 in my 71 Z. Ive got the mustache bar behind the lower mount,meaning closer to the gas tank than lower mount is this wrong? I cannot get the front diff mount up far enough to set right. I picked one up from a 78 280 Z and it is the same mount pattern and will make no difference using the newer mount. Any Ideas? Im out of them! Other than mustache bar mounting in front of lower control mount instead of behind I can think of nothing else.

The Haynes book I bought is supposed to cover 240's thru 280's but has no picks of the 280, go figure!!!

Mike icon_mad.gif

Moustache bar should be closest to the tank with ears facing forward. The diff mounts Big side should be facing forward. Try loosening the moustache bar some to get it to drop down, but have the mount mounted to the diff, so you only have one bolt(stud) to worry about. If it's to tight you may booger the threads this way though, but it worked great for me.

Don't feel to bad about this. It took me three times of putting that stupid thing in to get it right. I've heard afew others on here have the same prob.

Hope it helps

Spotfitz is right - I had trouble too. Pry on it a little. When mine dropped it scared the crap out of me since I was right under it! DO make sure the mount is tight on it as once it's installed it can be a bear to tighten. Sounds like you've got it right - how close is it to lining up? Within say 3/4inch or so?

I finally got it lined up and in. Front diff mount goes in a little different. Problem I know have is the diff loop/belt doesnt seem to line up it is hanging up on diff and not allowing front diff mount to seat in all the way. Did you guys keep belt or do away with it, what is its purpose as it seems the way diff is mounted it shouldnt be really needed?

Mike icon_confused.gif

That little piece of junk is a "safety" or "retaining" strap. It is supposed to hold the front of the diff in case the mount gives way. Many of us use the JTR method--platic wrapped steel cable to secure the front of the diff, or the new Scottie-GNZ method of fabbing (bending) a piece of metal over the nose of the diff and securing it with those big nuts. Look at Scottie's website for a great pic.

Davy