HybridZ

Fixing rust and dents before selling...worth it?

I have a 1975 280Z that I've installed a 1981 L28ET motor, stock turbo, harness, AFR, ECU...etc into. I can't get it to work. The EFI harness to body harness wiring is frying my brain when it isn't frying itself (it was just a ground wire... :P ).

I'm most likely going to just sell and look for a carb'd 240 in simular condition. I wanted a 240Z for the simple old school car it is. EFI is too much hassle for me. I really bit off more than I could handle. But I was impatient and bought the first S30 I found in my price range.

Anyways the point of my thread is too ask....

The car has a few dents and some rust. The framerails, rockers, quarters, and cowl are all solid. Even the doglegs and lower fenders. But there is some significant rust in the passenger floor, rear hatch ledge, spare tire well, and lower door skins. A few other small areas including a rust hole in the top of the passenger fender.

I have the tools and skills to do the body and mechanicals. It's the friggin wiring that kills me.

Let's say I was asking $800 for the car as it sits. Assembled but not running (wiring) with the rust and dents. If I repaired the rusty doors could I then ask $1000 and be reasonable? Or say the doors and floor and go to $1200? What is a solid body worth if I did it all? Or would I just be throwing my time and money away?

Oppinions please. Also please keep in mind the numbers I threw out are just examples.

Thanks

If you can't get the wiring straightened out, even with some professional help, I'd take the first reasonable offer and be done with it. I wouldn't throw good money after bad. Just my opinion. Or you could sell the drive train and do a carbed engine, if your that good with body work. Lots of engines to choose from these days.

I'd do just the opposite. Get it running and not look pretty.

I think you have a much better market with a running car then you do with a nice looking car that doesn't run. I also think it will be much more work for the body then the mechanical / electrical.

Besides, you'll learn something new, not what you already know.