HybridZ

help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey all, i just have a few questions about what i should do with my z... its a 79-280zx with a 350 and 3spd auto.. i picked the thing up for about $600, but its in pretty rough shape.. runs like a top, but leaks a little tranny fluid, the radiator(stock) leaks, the interior is really bad(no biggie) and theres some minor body work and surface rust(again no biggy). i intend on re-building this car, to fix its current flaws and bring it up to my standards. mainly what i want from the thing is good streetability.. i'd like to be able to take it long distances on occasion. which transmission should i use for the best comprimise(power/economy) since the car came stock as an automatic, i dont really want to try to put a manual in it, and should i replace the stock rear(r180)? i have an r200 lying around i can put in if its worth it. also is it possible to put AC in? the car came stock with ac, so i wouldnt think it would be that hard.. but would i have enough room for the compressor? i dont know much about chevy motors or Zs, this being my first of both, but i cant wait to get started icon_smile.gif

Guest Fast Frog

If your 350 is in the 300-350HP range then a GM 700R4 tranny should work for you. It's overdrive 4th gear is .70:1 great for hiway cruising. And they're plentiful enough new or used to be reasonably priced-$400+ used and $800-$1000 new. The R180 diff shouldn't be a prob unless you beef up the engine or get real ruff with shifting and hot rodding!

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: Fast Frog ]

My 79 280ZX/automatic came with an R180. Whether you go with an R200 probably depends on how you plan to drive it. I plan to go to an R200 LSD but it's not my highest priority.

Regarding air conditioning, the 350 engine, auto trans (700R4) and air conditioning from an '89 Firebird all fit into my engine compartment. As with a lot of cars, though, the A/C makes it somewhat harder to gain access to everything else plus a lot of people avoid it because of the extra weight. It's nowhere near as crowded as some of the new cars. I like the option, though, of having A/C when it gets really hot in Denver. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. icon_smile.gif