HybridZ

TOYOTA TRANNY

Z-TARD

Anyone here have experience with Toyota transmissions? I'm wondering how much HP and torque a stock 5 speed from a mid 80's early 90's Supra will handle. I'm considering using one behind the Jaguar 5.3 V-12 that I'm going to shoehorn into my '72 240 Z. The engine in stock form produces approx 280 HP 295 Ft Lb of torque, I plan on raising that to somewhere over 300 HP if I can. Any help would be appreciated. ugg.gif

Guest Anonymous

It should take it, they put SBC and SBF behind them with at least that much torque. Its quite a popular tranny swap down under.

I had contacted Castlemaine Rod Shop ( http://www.rodshop.com.au/ ) about doing a supra to Chevy V8 and with the favorable exchange rate it was going to be fairly cheap (250.00 for bellhousing and necessary clutch bits which isn't bad for a low production aftermarket piece), I went T56 instead, but I think its a viable alternative.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: A quick look of they're site didnt produce anything for your bellhousing outside of Jag to Chev tranny I believe it was.

Thanks Lone, I took the bell housing from the BW automatic in the Jag, I may be able to section it and weld it to the toyota bellhousing to make it work, or I might be able to fab some kind of adapter plate out of .25" steel. I'll have to modify the toyota flywheel to fit on the Jag crank too, should be interesting. Frankentranny.

I'm still positive I can make everything fit, although the V-12 looks much larger now than it did when it was still in the car. This thing should fill just about every inch of usable space in the Z engine bay.

Guest Anonymous

Cool man, be sure and get some photo's of it, that sounds really interesting. I'm sure you'll get it sussed, its just the fiddly bit of lining it all up true, but its not insurmountable. Good luck on it and keep us up to date!

Regards,

Lone