HybridZ

howling 200

Guest chevsun

Guest chevsun

while I have the back of the car apart for all the coilover, bushing, cv upgrades I need some input on what might be making my 3:90 200mm howl at highway speeds with no load. It resonates pretty loudly inside and I would like to fix it now if I can find what's causing it(I have changed the oil). I had no insulating material in the car except carpet but will be adding sound proofing this winter.

Guest Anonymous

I'll have a guess, pinion bearing might be worn causing the pinion to ride in a different location on the ring gear and the strange contact pattern might be causing a whine (howl). Or.... The bearings supporting your ring gear are worn. Just a couple of idea's of what sometimes causes rear ends to make noise.

Regards,

Lone

Guest chevsun

Got the 200 on the bench today and pulled the cover. I can't really see any problem. I checked the pattern with High spot blue and it looks good. The only question I have is on the backlash for an 83zx 2+2 R200. The only service manual I have is for a 73-240 but the recommended backlash for the 180 is .0039 to .0079. I have .007 and would just like to have verified that it is an acceptable # for the 200. Does anyone have a book that can help me out on that? Maybe the soundproofing I'm doing this winter will keep the noise out. I think I read somewhere that the 200's made more nois that the 180's but the superior sound proofing on the newer vehicles made it unnoticable. Am I dreaming here or what. bonk.gif